Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Carolina Reaper coming on

ohiojay
10 years ago

Carolina Reaper started last fall. Overwintered in GH. For reference, the glass bays behind the plant are 3' wide each.

Here's one of the gnarly looking pods. Looks like a leprous scorpion. I've had one from another plant and they are indeed very hot. Sort of like dousing your tongue in gasoline and then lighting it.
Another Reaper. The pods started off with a completely different shape and are now coming on looking more like the one above.
My Butch T Scorpion coming out from being overwintered in the GH. It had been pruned way back. I just removed about 70+ pods. This pepper has been quite a hit in the Buffalo Chicken I take to the office. Everyone stops by, gripes and cusses...but they always return for more! I'm an unpopular guy the next day hearing story after story of bathroom incidents! I feel their pain. Really...I did.

Comments (5)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful plants! Maybe when you harvest, later this year, I can talk you out of a few seeds. Those are two plants I need seeds for. I'm still trying to figure out the over wintering thing. I tried for the first time this past winter. I think I over pruned.

Tim

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Winter pods? While they still have flavor, I have found almost all lose their heat immensely. My xmas nagas still packed some punch last year, but nowhere near than earlier in the year.

Nice looking plants jay.

By the way, what's the flavor like? I love the flavor of the asian superhots. I don't care for habs -- too medicinal flavored. I was wondering if the caribbean based superhots tasted like habs. I guess I'll find out later this year when my 7 pots start producing.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Great looking plants. I am hoping to get my one Reaper and one Butch T to maturity this summer. But they, along with all my plants, are just not thriving yet.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fantastic work!

Josh

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of the coworkers I bring in plants for and wanted to overwinter them have found that the big shop lights hung right on top of the plants will keep them going just fine. I'd like to recommend bottom heat to go along with that since many put their plants in the basement where it is much cooler.

I do prune back the ones I keep but nothing too severe. I still get pods over the winter in the GH. Woohooman...you are probably right about losing the heat. But that loss of heat does not register with me! Once any of them get up to that level, hell man, it's hot!

Peppernovice...no problem there. I'm going to keep that one Reaper in the GH for now since it's too wide to get out the doors without a fight. Once a few rounds of fruiting goes by, I will try and isolate a branch to ensure a pure strain...I'll attempt the same with the Butch.

I'm not like some of you clowns that can just start munching on a raw super. You guys are nuts! I do love them in or with different foods in moderation. I have more fun making incredibly hot crap and bringing it into work for the folks who will eat anything that is out there for the taking...along with my regulars.

We have one guy in the office that is sort of the goofball of the directorate. Everyone gives him crap and he returns it...lot of fun. His problem? He believes Ketchup is spicy! My anonymous gift to him one Christmas was leaving him a plate of peanut brittle that I made up with fatalii chili powder! The plate was done up in a nice little bow too. Ahhh...office pranks. The good news is that he has made huge strides in handling hotter foods!

I recently made up some brats with our sausage maker. I thought it would be great to add in some scorpions when making the links. I was cautious in the amount I added. As I was preparing the second round for the links, I looked down and saw a bunch of chopped scorpions that did not get used when I first mixed it. So I added the rest to this second batch. Damn near killed my buddy and I later that night. The next morning I didn't even get out of our neighborhood going to work when I decided maybe it would be best working from home this day! Very good call.

Sponsored