Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Bill_Missy Grow Update 2013

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

Well I thought it to be time to post a few pictures of my grow so far this year. First year grower. I am growing in containers, in the ground, and yes, some hanging planters. All of these plants where started from seed in mid Jan to early Feb (Thanks John, Bruce and Laura). I am using 5 types of medium. These pictures are right after a good watering after 3 days with no water. They have all been outside permanently for about 5 weeks.

This first picture is of 2 Reapers, a Moruga Scorpion, a Butch T, a Red Bhut and a Cayenne.

Bill

Comments (43)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This picture is of a Dorset Naga, a Chocolate Fatali, a Trinidad Congo, a Pumpkin Hab, a Yellow Devils Tongue and a Red Bhut.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This picture has a Reaper, a Bhut, Red Devils Tongue, Red Savaina and 2 Yellow 7 Pot's The Yellow 7 Pots I started late (Mid April)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a consolidated picture from above mentioned peppers.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This picture is of a Alma Paprika, Cayenne Blend, a Butch T, a Red Bhut and a Pumpkin Hab.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A Cayenne Blend turning Yellow

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A picture of one of my hanging planters. I tried this plant last year and it sucked. This year they are going crazy. The supplier calls them a "Caribbean Blend" Multi-color. Is this a Scotch Bonnet??

I will take some picture of my in-the-ground plants in a day or two. Thanks for looking and thanks for the great advice and support from you ALL. I think I have read almost every post as I live on this site now and am HOOKED.....

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Bill

Wow great looking plants and seems to me all the different mediums they are growing in are equally as good. That's a lot of plants, hopefully next season I can grow that many. Great job on your first season.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Bill, seeing as how you mention you are a first year grower, I will take this opportunity to inform you that when a pepper plant is called a "SUPER HOT", it really is "SUPER HOT". You have enough heat growing there to force NOAA to post a wide spread heat warning.
    Good luck and if you eat even one pepper off each plant, you should earn some type of award.

They all look great. Awesome job for your first season.
    Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Mark. All the different mediums are working good to my surprise.

Thank you Bruce. I screwed up at the begging of the season when I needed to buy lights/heat mats/dirt etc. The deal from the wife was I could buy, but had to eat one of each pepper..... Not looking forward to that, but will be a man (or cry baby) and attempt each. I have eaten a Bhut whole, we will see how all these go.

Bill

• mswiggi
    10 years ago

You're plants look great! Good luck eating one of each pepper! :)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Looks very healthy and strong, real professional work.

Bill, how many gallon containers are those yellow one? How many times did you re-potted? I would like to learn about repotting containers size. Still I have some minor problems of choosing the right containers for the right size seedlings.

Caelian

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you mswiggi.

Caelin, Thank you for the comments. The square Yellow containers are 3 Gal. They are cat litter boxes I have saved. Work great. I drilled about 10 1/2" holes in the bottom. I have only re-potted once. I went from the seedling Solo cups straight to the final containers. The round containers are 5 Gal.

Bill

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Great looking plants, Bill! Sounds like your wife has a little bit of a mean streak! LOL Hopefully, there will be video documentation to share when the time comes. ;-)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Bill, thank you for the answer.

I like those yellow square containers it looks so nice.

Many of our fellow gardeners here do not use big containers . I had problems of big containers because of the climatic condition. 2-3 gallon containers are good for the soil temperature here.

Growing chili without a green house is a challenge here. My plan was a couple plants grow on the windowsill but now I don't know what's happened to me :)

Good luck.

Caelian

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I would post some of my plants with pods. I am very happy so far for being a first year grower. I have not killed any plants once they got to the hardening off stage. I think the key for me so far is a "hands off" approach. I look at them every night when I get home from work but only water every third day (High 80s to low 90s during the day now and 70s at night) I give them some fert every two to three weeks.

Thanks all for the great advice and comments so far.

This first pic is a Red Bhut. About 7 pods on it now.

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chocolate Fatali

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NuMex Twilight. Thank you Bruce.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A Caribbean Blend. Is this a Scotch Bonnet or?

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freshly picked Alma Paprika

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Terrific garden, Bill!

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Bill, the Twilight is looking great. Good job and keep it up.
    We can't get much above 60 and the sun is nonexistent up here. My season is in a holding pattern...Actually it really hasn't gotten started yet.
    Bruce

• daisydawnny
    10 years ago

Your plants look great!

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

Bill: Awesome job! Looks great.

Bruce: Pretty much same situation here. And lots of rain :(

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,

I thought I would post a few updated photos. This first picture if of my overwintered Tabasco going crazy and starting to turn. It is pushing 4 feet tall.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In ground up against the house. Man these things are just going crazy. I think the heat from brick house is helping them along. I have other plants of these same type and in the same medium away from the house and no where near as healthy.

The NuMex on the far Right is the same plant from the above picture showing a beer can.
    Left to Right

Butch T, Red Bhut, Reaper, NuMex Twilight

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 0:22

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my baby. Red Bhut.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pods from above Red Bhut

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Red Bhut

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pods from above plant. I am stumped here. The seeds from the two above Red Bhut's are from the same plant and source (OP 2012). Why is the pods just above not pimply/bumpy like these once here are? Is the one above a cross or...?

Sorry for the multiple post. Still have not figured out how to do mass pictures in one post.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dorset Naga with serious leaf drop. It had about 20 leaves lastnight, this morning zero.... Gotta be a Fert over-dose.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just love the colors of these pods on the plant at once. Reaper.

Thanks for looking. And thank you all for the great reads, advice/suggestions and pictures. I know what I know because of you all and this site.

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A small harvest today.

Cayenne blend, Dorset Naga, Trinidad Congo, Red Bhut, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero and a jar of Jalapenos I pickled. Some are not fully ripe could not wait :)

Bill

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Incredible, Bill!
    Regarding the Bhuts...I would only keep seeds from the long blistery pods. The chance of a cross is pretty good, but it could also be that the original seeds weren't stabilized (some recent crossing, or a strain with highly variable pod phentotype).

Josh

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Your plants and pods are incredible. Where are you located? I started my super hots in January and I don't have anything close to changing colors. I hope the leaf drop doesn't set you back. Keep doing whatever you're doing because your plants are loving it. Good Luck!

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am trying, just fighting the leaf drop off but I think I am pulling out of it by watering hard to flush. Seems to be working. With 100 degrees temps, pots dry out fast so not real worries of overwatering.

Josh, Yea I am more focused on the blistery ones as they look cool. Have 3 that are almost ripe and ready to taste. I know the seeds are OP but just weird how the seeds of the two Bhuts came from the same pod last year and they look totally different from each other.

Tim, I am in 8b, Alexandria Louisiana.

Bill

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Louisiana ......that figures. I hope you enjoy that long season. Between you and Jamie (romy6) I'm full of jealousy.
    Just a little pod envy.

Tim

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Bill, are those the bhut seeds I sent you? some of mine were like that last year. not much difference in taste or heat though, john

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John,

Yes those are pods from the seeds you sent me last year. They are all very hot, but 3 of the 5 plants have different looking pods. One plants (above) as a "genuine" look of a true Bhut. Two of the plants (same seed pack you sent) do not look the same as there is no real bumpy/blistering. They do taste the same and have the same heat level just not all the same physical characteristics.

I don't really understand why the difference in physical looks, the heat and smell are the same IMO.

Again, thank you for the seeds. Out of all the varieties you sent me, they have all produced pods already except the Dougluh's. I could not get any of the seedlings to stay stable enough to grow much more than a few inches then they died. That is my quest for next year.

Thank you,

Bill

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Gorgeous plants, Bill. Only now, I feel like I'm growing utterly boring varieties. What do you do with all of your peppers? Cook? Pickle?

Grace

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grace,

Thank you for the kind words. I am a first year grower and learning every moment. Stay tuned to this great site and you will grow like a pro soon enough....

I cook with them although limited amounts based on the type. My heat taste versus my wife's is no where close so I have to watch over-doing it. I pickle a lot of them, eat them raw now and then, give some away and save seeds so I can trade at the end of the year and to give seeds to new-comers like what was given to me.

I am currently researching rub mixes/receipts.

Bill

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:28

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Bill,

I've always been curious what y'all do with your peppers. I eat spicier than anyone I have ever met (my claim to fame) except one girl who outdoes me each time. And everyone is growing peppers that even I would have a hard time consuming! Haha. I wouldn't mind trying a few salsas or chutneys with the super hots next year if I plant them but I can't imagine cooking with them. Everyone around me would need to go to the ER and I reckon I wouldn't be okay either.

The same for tomatoes.....I see people planting 100+ plants and can't help but wonder: "Wow, you must really, really love tomatoes!" I grew three indeterminates one year and spent half my summer harvesting and the other half begging people to take them, lol.

Grace

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Bill, the Bhut seeds came from different plants about half of my bhuts had the spikes last year. I bought the seeds for those plants from pepperlover. but remember I got the stinging bhuts last year. in the same pack from pepperlover. so 3 pod variations in 1 pack. lol john

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks John. Now that explains a lot to me and I now have a better idea and understanding, lol. I will tell you one thing, I have one of the "true" Bhut Jolokia's pushing 4 feet now and pods everywhere. It is in the ground and not a container however but it is fricken massive....

Now to get your Douglah's growing ...... :)

Thanks again,

Bill

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms