Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

some pics

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

so my plants were all super droopy. so I figured what the heck, time for a good fert and watering. an hour later it starts pouring.

oh well, here's some pics. first, the overall

Comments (6)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yellow brain pod coming along nicely. too bad it's the only one on the plant.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that this is not a normal tabasco. has to be some kind of cross. it's a tiny little plant, just like its parent. the parent never got taller than 10" but gave me hundreds of tiny delicious pods.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my lovely chocolate scorpion pods

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

The plants are looking great Judo!

Got a question for ya too. I notice on all of your chinense varieties that the stalks are realitively bare, with all the foliage remaining on the tops. Is this how these varieties normally grow? I ask because it's my first time with them, and am referring to Stoney's post that I commented on. Mine all had very lush leaves all the way to the dirt up until very recently. Now all the older leaves are yellowing and falling off - revealing the same appearance that your plants have. I'm assuming now that this is a normal occurrence for these varieties, correct?

...it's never happened with any other peppers I've grown in the past - but, as stated, it's my first year growing this type.

Jay

(Edited: and sorry Judo! I had all my "J" names mixed up in the original post, and referred to you as Josh)

This post was edited by jutsFL on Thu, May 15, 14 at 0:35

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

are you referring to the big ones, or the medium sized ones? if you mean the big ones, I selectively prune the bottoms to encourage them to grow taller, not wider. surface area is limited here, but they can get as tall as they want. I didn't post the picture of the red brain, that has at least 10-12 pods on it already, and because of the targeted pruning, looks like a small tree.

if you mean the medium sized ones, these plants went thru hell. I planted most of them outdoors in december, with no form of protection from the cold. so they were quite stunted for quite some time. so they're gonna look a bit funny. also they were fairly close together before I figured out that they needed to be spread out more, so the bottom leaves weren't getting as much sun as the tops, and I guess the plants gave up on them and dropped them to focus on the tops. however it's been my experience that when the plants drop the lower leaves, branches form where the leaves used to be. so we'll see what happens.

since that pic was taken, 5 of the mediums have been put in their final homes in 5 gallon buckets. and I intend to do a few more today, if this rain stops for long enough.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Was speaking of the plants on either end in the photo (in the 5gals). Mine are taking that appearance as a natural occurrence (I think?), because of the yellowing and dropping of the largest/oldest leaves towards the bottoms.

Jay

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus