Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is causing this damage?

Posted by Dhelsdon 2A (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:26

Hi all,

I've got 3 ghost pepper plants that are fairly healthy for the most part, two of the three have some foliage damage.. this being the worst of the two. The other plant's damage is barely noticeable.

It looks like something has been munching on the leaves, or could it be 'wind burn'?

I don't know much about these guys, hence the post! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is causing this damage?

Something is up with the soil, an imbalance somewhere.

Are you using good, balanced & complete nutrients?

Mind you, it may not be simply a "lack of calcium". You may have enough calcium, but an imbalance somewhere else can cause it to be locked out and not flow up into the plant.

This problem is fairly common and tends to clear up when planted into the ground with good dirt, or potted up into a bigger container with fresh potting soil + good nutrients.

Almost forgot: during this minor problem phase, the plant is slightly more susceptible to leaf disorders (multiple points of entry for bacteria). Keep those leaves as dry as you can, unless you are spraying with some sort of proven treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here: This fellow is having the same issue.

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:55

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 23:24

Looks like what was discussed here last year:

Here is a link that might be useful: mine outgrew it

o

Like Sjetski said “this problem is fairly common”, I agreed. Lack of water or uneven watering also cause to nutrients locked out.
Caelian

o

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been using a good soil for the mix.. Sunshine Mix #4, While not Ideal type of soil for hot peppers, it's all I have at the moment.

I'll give each of the links a read, as for nutrients I've been using the Technaflora Recipe for Success. I start off using 1/4 of their recommended dosage and slowly bump it up to 3/4 strength, or until I see flowers then I begin flushing.

After giving those links a read I must agree that it's probably a calcium deficiency or a nute lock-out causing it. Could be irregular watering causing the Cal deff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Technaflora Recipe for Success

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here