Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chili Red Hot Peppers (Pics)

Posted by fsujunkie FL (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 19:35

It's been about 2 months since transplanting from when I purchased them as small plants. From what I have read these Chili Red Hot Peppers should be turning reddish, rather they seem large and the ones above are barely coming in. Are they alright to harvest now and still be hot? Thanks.

Following are two located on bottom of plant.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae320/fsujunkie/downsized_0512011914.jpg

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae320/fsujunkie/0512011914a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chili Red Hot Peppers (Pics)

Look Like Anaheim to me or since there are so many version/hybrids something similar.
If they are an Anahiem , they can get fairly warm when they turn red.

They use them in all stages of ripeness.

o

There is a great trick that my father taught me and his father before him. What you do is take a knife and cut a small piece of one of the peppers in question, then, here is the tricky part, put that little piece inside your mouth and make sure it touches your tongue. This is a great way to tell how hot a pepper is. :P

o

Hey! My dad and I use the same trick...it works well.

o

@phildeez... haha yeah you are correct.

I got them at a hardware store nursery and the label seems ambiguous now that they are grown. For sure I was going to get something relatively hot for some homemade sauce!

Seems as though vinegar, onions, garlic, and of course peppers are the common ingredient. Would it be a good idea to puree with seeds and just filter the sauce before I bottle it?

o

I never really thought of using Anaheim type peppers for hot sauce. They can have some heat, but, generally aren't *that* hot. Great for stuffing / Rellanos / burgers, though!

o

I would go for salsa, maybe add a few hotter peppers but use those for the volume. Or you could wait until they ripen up and grill them, that's what I would do, on a sandwich.

I have some "Red Relleno" peppers that I am growing up to see what I get, I expect something like an Anaheim.

o

I'd stuff those bad boys and grill them....they look good, congrats!
Got me wanting to plant my garden more than I already did!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here