Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats Killing My Peppers

Posted by ncage z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 19:43

Guys / Gals. Something is destroying my pepper plants this year. I've never had anything like this happen before. Its so wierd. I really don't know what is doing it. Here is a pic:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/4646166420_32486ea192_o.jpg

Ive always had cotton tail rabbits, and birds in my garden all the time and they don't seem to have done any damage in the past. Also my neighbors have cats, but again, they haven't do any damage in the past. Whatever it is, it looks like i need to invest in a BB gun. Some peppers have more damage and there is hardly anything left and some have less. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ncage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats Killing My Peppers

Something is eating those babies! I would sprinkle them with sevin dust and water by hand for a few weeks - they should bounce back.

o

Well i think i found the culprit unless its a combination of things. I was watching last night at sparrows picking at the leaves of my peppers. I don't even know how to deal with sparrows other than a BB Gun. Its wierd because they haven't bothered my peppers in the past. I really don't know what attracts on the wildlife to my garden anyways but it looks like its the work of these dang sparrows looks like i'll be buying a BB Guy tonight.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 28, 10 at 22:12

You could cover the plants with floating row cover. Or build "cages" of hardware cloth.

o

Here's a humane solution for sparrows.
Buy some pinwheels and keep them in your garden (close to the plants that you want to keep them away from), that should keep birds away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here