Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodeli37

Hot peppers problem

ChicagoDeli37
9 years ago

I planted 110 hot peppers this year, about 20 or more are the exact same size as they were 3 weeks ago when I planted them.
I've fed them well with worm castings, and organic tea.

Trying not to over water. Just can't seem to figure out why they aren't doing much. Most of the 110 I'm not impressed with at all.

We have had heavy rain often the week they were planted. And a cooler front move through Chicago.

From expiernece I've noticed peppers are hard to grow here, but this year they are just miserable.

Any help info would be great.

Comments (10)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yes, definitely watch the overwatering.
    Now, if there are 110 pepper plants in that raised garden bed, i would say that your problems are only beginning. I am guessing that is about a 10'x10' bed and I just can't imagine that many peppers in that small of a space. That would be one pepper per square foot. I am maybe seeing it wrong, or misunderstanding how many peppers you are growing in there though.

But, I think your current problem might be the soil. That looks like it is only a few inches deep unless there is some good soil under the top soil below the surrounding grade. If you just dumped a few inches on top of the gravel then that might be a problem. How deep is the soil in the bed and what kind of soil is it?

Oh yah, and one other issue that could be part of the problem. It looks like you have some tall buildings on at least two of the sides of the garden. If those are blocking the sun for a good portion of the day, then the peppers will struggle. They like direct sunlight, especially up here in the midwest climates.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 22:43

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That box only holds about 65 peppers ..the rest are in other spots.
    Gets decent sun 5-6 hours a day
    There is about 8-10 inches of good garden soil on top of the original soil that was there.
    Last season I also planted all peppers in this box.
    I did not add any organic matter or nutrients to the soil this season, just tilled and planted. I've been top dressing with some fresh worm castings
    And watered them a few times with some brewed tea...

Is there just not enough nutrients in this soil?
    I'm trying to stay organic so I do not want to fertilize with anything chemical.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I agree that the plants are too close together.
    Peppers need their space.
    I would let the soil completely dry out then maybe hit them with some fish emulsion or blood meal..maybe.

In ground plants can take a little more ferts than potted ones but don't overdo it.

Stoney

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, I think even 65 peppers in that area is a bit too cramped. But that would't be the cause of your current issue. That will present itself after they get much bigger.
    Those plants in the cement blocks pictured above are definitely too close and they are also going to get root bound. Those holes they are growing in are not big enough for full size pepper plants.

I dont think nutrients are the problem. Typically peppers will grow in average or below average soil as long is it is well draining. If that soil worked last year, it should be fine this year. I would look at moisture as your current problem. Hopefully, you get some clear skies for a while to dry it up a bit. Also, peppers tend to go dormant for a while after transplanting due to transplant shock, so that could be part of the problem as well.
    Bruce

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Probably not warm enough yet for peppers to take off, they like it hot and won't do much growing until the nights are above 50 degrees consistently.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

All good points made. The color looks pretty good right now, and I think the plants do need warmer temps to really take off. However, I'd get some Fish Emulsion ready.

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

A agree with Bruce and Stoney on spacing issue. As Bruce already have mentioned spacing can be a problem of the future.

I think Aili and Josh nailed it: Those plants need some consistent warm weather. Well, I should know ! I have the same problem. I keep staring at my plants and begging them to grow (please !) but they are too cold ( to me !)hehe

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All peppers in the box are a foot away from eachother some more than a foot. Last year this worked if I staked them really well and kept them away from eachother .. Just been worried about this super slow start..

Going to get some ferts to hit them up with this weeks....hopefully give them some help.

As far as cinder blocks ...
    Underneath the holes is soil as well. And i tilled it really deep.. Will they still get root bound ?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Well, I am just a few hours NW of Chicago and weather up here has been well above normal since the middle of May. I suppose with this strange spring, the temp differences by location could be significant, but Chicago weather is usually several degrees warmer than where I am and our nights have routinely been 50 and above for two weeks now. My plants have been pretty happy since being kicked outside two weeks ago.
    About those buildings on the two sides of the garden in the photo above: Exactly what sides of the garden are they on? Even if one is a North side wall, the other wall is going to block a good deal of either morning or afternoon sun. And if one is on the South side, then you really might have an issue with available sunlight. With more sunlight, will come more heat as well.
    Good luck, they look healthy and as long as they are getting enough sun, they look ready to get going.
    Bruce

• Tiarella
    9 years ago

Your plants look healthy and nearly as big as mine 600 miles to the south. Our plants will take off when it gets hot.

You'll want to keep an eye on the plants in the concrete blocks. The concrete may leach and affect the soil ph which you can correct with acid fertilizer or coffee grounds or sulfur or...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz