Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super-Hots

Posted by Obi_Juan Ohio, Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 20:04

I'm currently growing Bhut Jolokia peppers. I was wondering if there are other peppers I should try growing. If there are where would I be able to get seeds for them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super-Hots

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 23:28

Definitely try growing others. It is getting a bit late for you to start from seeds now but go to the local garden center such as Walmart or Home Depot, Lowes, etc... And pick up one or two starter plants of 3 or 4 more varieties. You will mostly find the standard tried and true varieties and likely to be much less hot than your Bhut. Look for a Habanero, Cayenne, Jalapeno, Sweet Banana, Hot Hungarian Wax, Serano etc... You can still grow from seed but in zone 5, you will have a hard time getting any ripe fruit before the winter shuts them down. You can probably find seeds for most of the varieties I listed above at any garden center as well. Other wise, there are several sites online that are good for seed and typically have a larger variety and more exotic varieties. Start with The New Mexico Chili Pepper Institute. They are reputable and have some good choices.
Bruce

o

Thanks, Sounds like I'll have to get to wal-mart soon!

o

I actually found bhuts (or at least peppers labeled as "Ghost Peppers") at a local nursery here a while back. Can't hurt to call around.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 12 at 14:21

You bet. The big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot generally just carry the basic varieties but some of the Mom and Pops and independent garden centers will carry some of the more exotics. I am sure Ghost Peppers will start becoming a more common sight in the garden centers as it becomes more well known. It will be the next Habanero.
Bruce

o

wow. and i just ordered my butch t trinidad scorpions the other day. Luckily I live in oklahoma where we get a lot of hot weather. It's going to be thanksgiving before I get those peppers most likely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here