Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

'Cheyenne' Pepper?

noki
9 years ago

I bought a 'Cheyenne' pepper plant that is supposed to be "hot" (vague) and have a small bushy plant with 4" green to orange peppers that are not that thin.

Then I read that is also plants sold as 'Cheyenne' that are more like a hybrid of a Cayenne plant that are skinny and turn red. Burpee sells it.

Also by Googling, it seems some people even misspell Cayenne as Cheyenne, so that throws confusion into the search.

So what do I have? How hot are they? And why are there two 'Cheyenne' named peppers? Or are there?

Comments (12)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Do you have a picture noki?

Stoney

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Click.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheyenne

• noki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Woohoo" (Homer Simpson voice)... woohooman, that is it. Still not sure how people would use it but it looks pretty.

Burpee has this other hybrid 'Cheyenne' in link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheyenne Pepper too

This post was edited by noki on Sat, May 31, 14 at 0:03

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Correct spelling of the pepper is : CAYENNE.
    Cheyenne is a territory in WY !

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

True, but one can named a variety anything. Cayenne is long red hot pepper that has been around so long that it has lots of copies. Burpee's Cheyenne is a hybrid version. but there are several OP versions also. The Cheyanne in question by Noki is not a cayenne type, but a compact hot pepper ideal for container gardening. There are cheyennes in other varieties of vegetables also, Cheyenne Bush pumpkin comes to mind.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I think seysonn was joking, you gotta realize, he's quite the smart arse. ;-)

Interesting Kevin, I thought the Cheyenne looked like the hybrid burpee sells. So, there's two different Cheyenne's? sheesh.
    Pam

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Great, I have one growing. I wonder which version it will be.
    Hopefully it is the orange version. Much nicer looking pods.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Pam: Hell! I don't know. LOL I just researched it on thechileman.org for the OP. You know me -- I grow the basics... The Chihuacles Negros you sent me(Thanks again) are about the most "exotic" pepper I have growing. Oh! And the Black Pearls Josh sent me(Thanks to you again also, Josh).

:)

Kevin

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

I'd guess the name Cheyenne wasn't copyrighted so aq couple peppers have the same name.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of 2 different ones

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think seysonn was joking, you gotta realize, he's quite the smart arse. ;-)
    %%%%%%%%%%
    Hehe. Pam, I am not that smart.
    Cayenne is pronounce ; Kaw- yan.
    Cheyenne is pronounced " Shaw-yan .

So neither spelling nor pronunciation is the same. They are two different animals. So then Burpee named it after the place in WY.

Per Wikipedia :

It is named for the city of Cayenne in French Guiana.

So when I hear "Kaw-yan" it reminds me of above, not Shaw-yan in Wyoming.
    But who cares. It is just confusing. That is all.
    Enjoy the heat.

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Chile taxonomy sucks and this is a prime example.

• noki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, having two or more hot peppers have the same name is rather confusing. Maybe the orange ones were developed across the Atlantic and then started being sold in the US while the other 'Cheyenne' was independently named. Not sure what either has to do with Wyoming... is Cheyenne noted for there hot peppers? How about some spicy potatoes, now that would be notable.

Sponsored