Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do these yellow bell peppers look ready to pick?

Posted by calken Fresno, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 20:38

This is my first time growing peppers of any kind. They are suposed to be Golden Bells, but they don't look quite as golden as the picture that came with them. Any ideas as to whether or not they will get more "golden" if I leave them on longer? I'm fine with picking them now if it will mean more peppers on the plant later. What do you think?

Thanks,
Ken

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do these yellow bell peppers look ready to pick?

Thats a fine looking plant you have there! They look golden to me? But im a noobie at pepper growing though, more experienced guys know better !

But i would have them eaten by now though lol.

Arthur.

o

I dont want to pick them. they look too good. I want to pull up a chair and just admire them.

not sure on the color. they might get some more color.

Jean Andrews says the seeds mature a month after the pepper makes color. I think you can allow the peppers to sit for a little longer on the plant and ripen some more if you want. they should develop more flavor and more sweetness. but if you want one for dinner go pick it. I usually leave them on the plant until i am ready to use them. but then I dont have that many peppers that they last very long anyway.

o

I'm with O N -pick one now and tell us how it tastes. I usually try them at different stages and certainly couldn't wait for them all to be fully ripe.

John

o

They look beautiful. I don't know if I could ever grow bell peppers that look so healthy! I haven't been too successful with bell peppers in Michigan. Go for it...eat a few. I would.

Chris

o

They look beautiful. I don't know if I could ever grow bell peppers that look so healthy! I haven't been too successful with bell peppers in Michigan. Go for it...eat a few. I would.

Chris
Same goes for me. I can grow hot peppers like crazy but I never seem to get more that 2 funny shaped bell peppers off of a plant, even when I grow them in pots. They're never blocky and they often have thin walls. This year I am trying some new methods of caring for them.

Great looking peppers calken. Does this variety start green and ripen yellow/orange or does it start as a pale yellow. They'll probably get a little darker and more golden as you leave them on he vine, but I don't think anybody could wait that long without at least trying one.

o

• Posted by calken Fresno, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 20:20

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments on my peppers. I am very new to gardening in general and really am just learning as I go. It must be the Fresno heat that the peppers like so much.

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I picked one yesterday. I sliced it and put it in a salad. Delicious! It was very flavorful, although it was not quite as sweet as I thought it could be. I may leave the remaining peppers on for another week to see if they get a little sweeter and more colorful.

This variety "Golden Bell" was yellow from the beginning, so I guess using color change as a way to determine ripeness is not so helpful. This is fun!

Thanks,
Ken

o

Ken, not sure if those are like the green Bells where if you leave it on the plant it changes to red.

Here's some pics of my Green Bell peppers last year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

These look great. I bought a Golden Bell pepper plant a few weeks ago. I will compare it yours when the fruits develop and perhaps take pic to post as well.

o

I'm not sure that those are really "Yellow Bells", those almost look ivory. You can eat a few now and leave a couple on and see what color they turn cause I'm pretty sure they will turn a deeper color or two even.

In Ohio it is pretty rare to see that many perfect full size bells on a plant at the same time, maybe in September if anytime, so you must be doing something right along with a nice climate

o

Man, you're just bragging. I hate you. Just kidding, those look AWESOME! I wish my plants were that good.

o

Terrific looking peppers!!
I'm growing Bells for the first time. I see a cage on the last pics, but didn't see any stake or cage in the first. Is it necessary to do either? I suppose that depends on the fruit size?

Vera...hoping too have as nice of plants as these! WOW

o

Calken,
Those look very cool. I too am in Fresno and am growing my first peppers (Fresno's). Good luck!

o

Aye aye! That gets me all excited. I'm growing Bell peppers (California Wonder) for the first time this year as well. I really hope that I can get them to thrive as nicely as those (in fact all 6 of them :)

o

Looks good. I am growing California Wonder for the first time this year too. Need help cuz my plants have not germinated yet (I started with a seed indoors in late March).

o

I am envious of your ripe peppers so early in the season, wow they are beautiful!

I decided to explore the world of peppers last season and planted 25 varieties or so. I now have quite a few new favorites.

If you like sweet peppers, try Luigi some time. "Sweet as an apple" is no exaggeration.

For a bell pepper, Revolution Hybrid was remarkably prolific, California Wonder was pathetic in comparison.
A caviet, Revolution claims it does well in cool weather and that's what I've got. I can't guess if it would be happy in Fresno.

Gary

o

I grew golden bells last year. They started out that pale yellow color but ripened fully into an orangy red. Never were yellow, but they tasted great once ripened. I would wait to pick until you get some hint of color change.

kendra

o

Those do look excellent. I always give peppers a gentle squeeze to see it the walls are thick or not. That tells me if they are ready. But then, the thickness varies by variety.

o

That is one beautiful plant. I'm letting some of my yellow peppers stay until
they get bigger. Is anyone having problems with insects stinging the yellow peppers. I also have California Wonders, which do real well with the heat
we're having in Texas. These have no insect stings, like the yellow ones.
Thanks for your replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here