Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jvjava

Java's First Pepper Plants

JVjava
12 years ago

This is my first year trying to grow anything. I also have some tomatoes and tomatillos. Just thought I would share my progress with everyone since you have all been so helpful. Hopefully it continues to go well.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Pics 2011

Comments (6)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

I would say you are off to a great start...good luck buddy.

• kosherbaker
    12 years ago

Jon did you even get a chance to ask Josh or Al if fertilizing with every watering is a good idea?

Seeing as your plants are doing well it may just be. I'm curious as I've never seen it recommended before, and being a noob myself am always looking to learn something new.

• JVjava
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh and Al, were the ones who recommended it. Unless, I misinterpreted their posts. In Josh's words, "weakly weekly" and after reading Al's fertilizing and water movement posts, that's what I started doing. I was using E.B Stone's organic fertilize, which I used once, but my plants weren't doing so hot, which could have been cool wet weather. Apparently the organic fertilizers take longer to break down and be available for the plant, which can be problematic in container gardening, especially for a newbie. Anyway, after corresponding with Al, and Josh, I switched to MG, until I could get my hands on some FP. I was using 3/4 of a tablespoon to 2 1/2 gallons of water. I haven't had to water but once every 8 days or so, until this week. It was warmer this week, had to water a bit sooner, so I used even less MG. However, yesterday I got my FP 9-3-6 in the mail, and will be using it instead according to their maintenance schedule. 1/4 tsp. per gallon of water with 1 tsp. of vinegar per gallon as well since the alkalinity of our water supply is 120+ppm. Al, asked in one post if I added calcium to my medium, which I did not, but I don't think Al saw my response as that thread was in container gardening, and got moved down pretty quickly.

anyway all my plants seem to be doing well. the Bell Pepper's are growing slow!, and my Sante Fe has 4 peppers growing, but overall is only 8" tall. I am assuming that it is because of the weather, and will grow more as the temps increase. Hope this Helps. Josh and Al have been a tremendous resource, I can't thank them enough,

Jon

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Fantastic work, Jon!
    You've got it down. I'm lazy, so once a week fertigation is fine for me ;-)
    Some of my trees (non-peppers) are fertilized every two weeks or so.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yah, I guess it is about time for me too. I havent fertilized my Bhuts for probably close to a month but they are in some real good soil. My other container plants probably need a shot now too as I potted them up about a week ago. What NCL should I be looking at for plants that are already fully into putting out blooms and now that I quit pinching them off should be fruiting real soon now?

• kosherbaker
    12 years ago

Thanks Jon. Now that you mention "weakly weekly" it does ring a bell. :) I guess I just didn't make that connection.

Agree with you 100% on the helpfulness and being great resources, as far as Josh and Al, as well as everyone else in this great community. Great forum.

Rudy

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler