Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some kind of nutrient issue?

Posted by weirdflowers 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 20:40

So I recently got a free bag of Growstone Coco Mix from the dude at the local hydroponics store, who said he wanted to know what I thought of it. I put a few peppers in it and now they're showing some splotchy chlorosis as you can see in the picture. None of the peppers in my usual mix show any problems right now. Plants in both mixes are being fertilized the same.

My thoughts are a nutrient availability issue due to differences in either substrate pH or water retention. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some kind of nutrient issue?

Undersides of leaves look fine? If so, I'd go with lack of Magnesium. Try giving about 1/2 tsp per gallon next time you fertilize.

Let's see what others may have to say.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, May 2, 14 at 0:45

o

Odd pattern. Try what Kevin mentioned - Epsom Salt. You should see a difference in just a few days. If the yellowing continues, it could be too much moisture in the root-zone, lack of nitrogen, et cetera.

What exactly is your fertilizer?

Josh

o

Same opinions as Kevin.

Sometimes Magnesium is already in the soil but not available to the plant; I have read an article that suggested foliar spraying Epsom Salt ( 1 TB spoon per gallon of luke warm water).
It is also a QUICKer dose than applying ES into soil.

o

Check the Ph first.

o

Woohooman, if you're referring to pests damaging the leaves, I haven't seen any.

There's Osmocote Plus in the mix and they get Foliage Pro at about 1/4 strength.

pH is about 6.5.

I'm going to try an Epsom salt spray and see if that does anything.

o

Increase the Foliage Pro to half-strength, or more.

Josh

o

weirdflowers: No. I was referring possibly to edema. Seems to be more common lately. google a pic of pepper edema and you'll see what it looks like.

I'm sticking with the Mg theory. I'd do as Josh suggested. The Foliage Pro has Mg in it. Last year, a couple of mine looked similar---Josh suggested upping the ferts(Miracle Gro = no Mg) and epsoms(Mg)...voila!

Kevin

o

Ahh yeah, I've seen edema on some of my peppers in the past, but it never seemed to be associated with any kind of nutrient issue before. It looks like a couple of these plants do have it.

Does that change anyone's advice?

This post was edited by weirdflowers on Sat, May 3, 14 at 16:38

o

Edema usually means overwatering. Not always, but usually. So, along with the above advice, let the soil dry out between waterings.

Soil almost bone dry, water thoroughly. Let dry out again, water thoroughly. And so on.

Kevin

o

Do a search on growing in coir, advice from peat/soil growers is going to kill your plants :)

Letting coir go bone dry is going to skyrocket the substrate pH, the only time you do a wet/dry cycle is while establishing roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here