Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cloches from 2 ltr bottles

Posted by lilycrazy Zone 5- Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 20:48

Has anyone tried this ? Its almost warm enough to leave potted hot peppers outside but I want to make sure they get enough warmth and stay warm all night, without killing them obviously. Any thoughts ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cloches from 2 ltr bottles

Gallon milk jugs with the bottom cut off work well, you can put the cap on when its cold and take it off to allow ventilation during daylight.

o

I use those large, water-cooler alhambra bottles.

The milk jugs always fly off in the wind, by I do have some as back-up cloches.

Josh

o

Josh is right about the wind, you have to dig them in a bit. Alhambra bottles would be better if you want more light to get through, also.

o

I made starter pots for my second round of bhuts using water bottles. Drilled holes in the bottom, filled the bottom half with pea gravel, top half with my soil mix. Would take a pretty good gust of wind to topple one of those things, although it could take the lid off.

Not sure if they're working or not though. Been two weeks, no sprouts, and I couldn't even find the seeds in the couple I went half sifting through.

I'll keep 'em moist and warm and hope for the best though.

Best part is if/when they do sprout, I just have to pop the top off and boom, they're good for quite a while before having to transplant into their big boy pots.

o

Since I plant all my early tomatoes and peppers in my high tunnels, I don't use these anymore. However, they do work very well.

I cut a 4 inch pvc drain/sewer pipe into 6 inch long pieces. I plant the plant, push the pipe over the plant into the ground a few inches then I cut the bottom off of two liter bottles. Then I take the bottles and slide them over the pipe and you have a nice tall cloche.

Jay

o

Move to Florida then you don't have to worry. Ha ha just kidding.

o

Lilycrazy - how cold is it at night at this time?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here