Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robeb_kc

distorted naga leaves

robeb
11 years ago

I have 4 pepper plants in 5 gal. SWCs... 2 Nagas,1 Bhut and 1 Fatali. Also have several tomatoes in SWCs, all on the same patio close to each other.

The Fatali & Bhut are looking good, but the 2 Nagas new top leaves are growing out wrinkled. I'm not really too concerned because all lower new leaf growth is normal and the plant is growing as it should.

I've searched around and have read many different opinions on what the cause might be... herbicide drift, lack of nutients, etc., but all the plants have been in the same area under the same conditions. I've checked closely for pests.

Naga:

Bhut (with Fatali in background):

Peppers & Tomato plant:

These were started from seed. I gave a small seedling to a friend of mine several weeks ago and his is growing the same.

Any ideas or is anyone experiencing the same?

Comments (31)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I have seen that posted many times. I cannot remember what the final diagnosis was or if there was a definitive one. I seem to remember the popular thought was insects such as spider mites or something like that. But I can't remember for sure. I have seen the issue before on my own plants. One thing that I am pretty sure of though is that it isn't serious. I don't remember the problem being terminal. If you don't find the cause, I am guessing the plants will go on to produce a lot of nice peppers for you this summer.
    Bruce
    Bruce

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response, Bruce.

No, I'm sure it's not spider mites. I've battled them before on tomato plants and I'll forever curse those little bastards.

Btw, these were grown from seeds you sent me. Thanks again.
    I'm not worried about them producing pods, they're growing and healthy. Just curious if it might be something genetic.

I'm looking forward to trying these...

• SgtPepper
    11 years ago

I read somewhere this condition is from a calcium deficiency that can be easily cured by mulching in bonemeal.

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SgtPepper,

I read the same about calcium deficiency. One guy even has a youtube video up about it with his habaneros.

All my plants are in the same potting mix with the same fertilizer, which does contain bonemeal. Only 2 are showing these signs. It doesn't make sense that plants that are grown the same would show such different growing patterns, especially nagas & bhuts which are so closely related.

Bruce mentioned that he has seen this in his plants, so I'm wondering if this might be a trait passed along in the seeds he got from Pepper Joe's.

I've grown different varieties of hot peppers this same way for several seasons and have never seen leaves wrinkle this way.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Add Epsom salt 3 tablespoons per gallon of water apply, should correct the problem.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Sgt Pepper:
    Here is a pick from June 2, 2011 of one of my Nagas. They weren't showing any signs of deformed leaves. I can't remember what plants were that I had that did that but I know it wasn't anything that hindered them at all anyway.

Bruce

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I had several seedlings do this. I think out of 30, I had around 9 that had crinkled leaves like this. I watered them all the same, gave them the same soil, and the same amount of light and water. I'm not sure, but I think it was water related. They grew out of it, but it showed up again later. I don't know the exact cause, but I feel pretty sure they will grow out of it. I apologize, I'm surely not an expert. I do believe they will grow out of it though.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I agree with peppernovice. I think it is one of those things that it will get past with no ill effects. Good luck.
    Bruce

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys.

Peppernovice, no need for an apology.

Like I said earlier, I'm not worried... just curious.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Wow, you guys are up late too. I thought I was the only one trolling this late. :)

• SgtPepper
    11 years ago

It is disturbing when you see stuff on one or two plants that doesn't look right in comparison to the others in your group. I have one plant that seemed to have stunted in comparison to the rest for no good reason, but lately has exploded into growth.

Pepper plants are weird.

• chuck
    11 years ago

I'm curious about your potting mix. Is it mostly peat moss? Did you use any lime? Also, by blocking the fill tubes, are you restricting oxygen? I had one plant with simular leaf appearance, but I foliar feed my plants, and I think that I sprayed too much N on the leaves. Now I only spray them twice a week.

chuck

• DaMonkey007
    11 years ago

There is a virus, called Pepper Mild Mottle Virus that will cause leaves to pucker like this. It's seed borne, so that might explain why the seeds that you gave your buddy are doing the same thing. It also can have mild foliar symptoms at first, but when it does show itself - it generally will only affect the new growth - again, may explain your symptoms. The virus, once it takes hold, results in severe stunting, distorted fruit, and massive yeild loss.

If it is that, you need to remove the plant immediately, as the virus is spread from an infected host by mechanical transmission (i.e. hands, cloths, tools). I actually had this virus with one of my first non-serious attempts at growing peppers - wiped out every plant that I had.

Serious stuff. I hope that's not it.

Good luck.

PJ

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Between Mottle Virus and Bacterial Speck, I doubt if I'll ever take another seed in trade/gift from anyone without a cleaning soak treatment before planting.

I've rolled that dice too many times over the years.

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quote: "I'm curious about your potting mix. Is it mostly peat moss? Did you use any lime? Also, by blocking the fill tubes, are you restricting oxygen?"

Chuck,
    My mix is miracle gro, with Tomato Tone added to the top of the mix. I added no lime. I cap the fill tubes to keep skeeters out of the reservoir.
    I've been growing peppers this way for 3 years with great success.

DaMonkey007,
    I've read up on Pepper Mild Mottle Virus and don't believe that's the deal here. I have no yellowing of any leaves and only the top new growth is affected. The bottom new shoot leaf growth looks just as it should and the plant is not stunted size wise.

That's why my first guess was herbicide drift, but since only 2 plants (which are the only 2 of this variety) out of several are showing these signs, herbicide damage seems unlikely.

Gotta love a good mystery...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yep, Peppers have a lot of mystery. Even the seasoned growers have to say ????????? sometimes.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Take a look let me know what you think

Here is a link that might be useful: Looks like your plants just not as bad

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

That link show discoloration in the affected leaves, which looks like sunburn to me. Maybe that damaged the leaves and caused the deformities.

Robeb: Did you plants get a big shot of sun in the hear past? Maybe you moved them outside for the first time in the last week or two????

Bruce

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, mine don't have the yellowing.

They were hardened off at the end of April and planted out the first part of May. They're quite used to several hours of direct sunshine.

Another shot of the gnarly leaved Naga right next to it's unaffected Bhut neighbor:

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ok, you got me. Sorry but someone out there should have a realistic answer. I have seen posts on the same problem before but I don't know what I would search on to find them.
    Bruce

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

The early symptoms of mottle virus can mimic things as innocent as over-watering or over-fertilization unless it's a heavy infection.

If the plant doesn't recover or keeps setting really close-set crinkled/small/skinny/etc leaves you might be dealing with it, though. A good indication is if it starts to look like a "witches' broom" type very compact growth over an extended period if you don't get the leaf spotting (which sometimes doesn't show until late).

I've had mottle that didn't really show itself fully until fruit set and the more-easily-identified "off-color spots" that form on fruits that never quite "rot" until the fruit is very ripe. Heavier/earilier infections can turn green fruits, though.

In the meantime I'd move the plants a bit away from stuff you know is healthy if it's possible.

• gainesvillejoe
    11 years ago

I agree that it is probably a virus. I too have had this problem on occasion with multiple varieties of chile seeds and transplants from various suppliers, so I have to wonder if I am carrying the virus in my yard and house.

I'd like to hear from anyone out there that can provide more insight on this one.

Thanks!

• gainesvillejoe
    11 years ago

I agree that it is probably a virus. I too have had this problem on occasion with multiple varieties of chile seeds and transplants from various suppliers, so I have to wonder if I am carrying the virus in my yard and house.

I'd like to hear from anyone out there that can provide more insight on this one.

Thanks!

• gainesvillejoe
    11 years ago

After Googling "Pepper Mild Mottle Virus" I'd say DaMonkey007 is on the right track by looking at the pictures.

• Rusty
    11 years ago

Can you give us a close up picture of one of the leaves? it my not be a virus. because as far as i could tell you don't have the Yellowing patterns in the leaf veins. But on an another note. how tall is the plants from the black bags. is the plants shorter than the rest? if so "or maybe" the bags might be getting hot and that type of plant my not like 120+ degrees of hot air or steam coming up from the bottom.

another case might be over watered "wet soil" I live here in Fl and recently its been raining its butt off an gets hot mid day then lots of clouds and rain. as you can see on my JHC has the same problem on some leaves on the plant. both old and new.

and I know its not the virus because of all the fruit I have gotten off of it last year and this year. She doesn't like to much water and then it becomes a steaming pot during the day. Also my bhut is right next to her "as you can see on the left and has no signs of distress even tho most of her leaves are way above the pot.

anyways thats just my 2 cents :) I hope I was helpful in some way

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rustacator,
    Here are a couple of leaf close ups:

I'm with you, I don't think it's a virus, or at least not pmmv.

You asked about size, they're not dwarfed:

They're definitely not overwatered and I don't think the black plastic is the problem. I've grown hab's, serranos, jalapenos and fatalis this way for several years now and all have thrived.

...still puzzled

• robeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My nagas seem to have outgrown their leaf problem.

I still am not sure what was wrong, but grateful that they're looking better and starting to bud.

The seedlings I gave to friends are also doing well.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I just started to get that on a couple of my peppers. Not bad, just a few leaves. Only thing different lately is three hot, sunny 90 degree days in a row.
    Bruce

• steven1032
    11 years ago

it is irregular watering which will cause a calcuim defiency.

• romy6
    11 years ago

There are too many factors that can cause your leaves to do this but I don't think it is a virus. My plants do that when we have too much rain, lack of nutrients. mites and or aphids. They usually always come back. If you have a long enough growing season cut them back and the new leaves should come in normal. Could not hurt to do routine cal mag foiler spray and hit them with some bonide citrus and fruit spray just in case that is the issue. Like rusty after 17 days of rain straight, many of may plants are getting wrinkled leaves too.

Jamie

• pepperjoe
    10 years ago

Have the symptoms. been present since seedlings. plants still growing, flowers still present with fruits. USDA article on PMMoV

Here is a link that might be useful: PMMoV article

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus