Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves browning and falling off, peppers miniature and premature

Posted by Jottle Southern CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 20:56

Over the last few weeks I've started noticing my pepper plant is in serious distress. I planted it in a good sized container with regular potting soil and a drain. It sits in full sun all day, and I water it about once a week or when the soil is no longer moist 2inches down. For Feb-March the plant flourished with no issues under these conditions. Now, with no other changes, it has started to slowly die off first by losing its pepper buds, then now all the leaves are browning on the edges before falling off completely dead. The peppers that are still viable are very small in size and ripen very quickly. I thought the plant was rootbound two weeks ago, so I repotted it into an even larger pot with a drain. It turns out that the plant had plenty of space to grow in the old pot, and the roots were very damp. Since repotting, the plant has continued to wither away. I can't figure out the cause. There are no pests. The only thing I've noticed is that the soil retains moisture for a good amount of time. Could this be root rot? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves browning and falling off, peppers miniature and premat

How often do you fert?

I would use some miracle grow water soluble fertilizer and that should help.
That's what I did to a similar looking plant and it looks 100% better.

Stoney

o

What did you use to fill the container?

o

More info please. Like jean asked, what type of potting mix, fertilizing regimen, have you done any foliar spraying, etc. The more info, the better.

Kevin

o

Could definitely be root rot, but it could be something else too. Actually looks to me like herbicide damage.

Dennis

o

So I've used miracle grow on it once about 8 weeks ago and again two weeks ago. The potting soil is called "Kellogg garden organics patio plus premium potting soil"

No herbicides ever used.

This post was edited by Jottle on Tue, May 27, 14 at 17:46

o

Could be bad fertilizer burn.

Stoney

o

I'm still flummoxed. Root rot, herbicide damage, etc.

Jottle: Did you happen to water it a ton and leave it unshaded during the recent Santa Anas?

Kevin

o

@woohoo

I did water it well before the santa ana's, but then immediately put it on my porch for the duration of the winds. So it had partial shade each day. I've been continuing to water regularly, but this thing is just dying off with not obvious cause.

o

Any other ideas anyone? This hasn't gotten better.

o

Are there drain holes in that container?

Also, can you take a pic in the shade or evening? What variety is it?

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 17:22

o

@woohooman

Drain holes are in the bottom. The good news is the plant hasn't completely died off. It's still producing very tiny peppers, but it does have some new growth at the very top (see pics). Anyone have other ideas? I've been watering regularly, keeping the soil damp 2inches down.

o

Hi Jottle,

Maybe too much water? This year I have been sticking a chopstick 4 - 6" into my 24" pots and have not watered until it comes up dry all the way at the bottom. I've had great results.

Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here