Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

Tiny Tabasco

scott123456
9 years ago

So my Tabasco plants are tiny, even the ones in big pots. Looking at pictures online Tabascos look like big plants. Is this a Tabasco? Are they supposed to be this small?

Comments (11)

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

One year I got what they called Yellow Tabasco from the nursery,they stayed pretty small.

Were not like regular Tabasco.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Cool! Yellow Tabasco... I never heard of it.
    Pam

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

They look very healthy!

Stoney

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

They stayed yellow a long time but did eventually turn red.
    Pretty much turned from green to yellow,then almost straight to red,no orange.
    IF I remember right...been a few years...

The pods were differently shaped +/-.
    Very juicey and thick fleshed.Seedy too.
    Tasted like regular,fresh Tabasco peppers.

What is a big pot?
    I grew mine in #5 pots/3 1/2 gal.,if I remember right.

Looking at my stash of seeds,They were called SHORT Yellow Tabasco.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 0:04

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

are those from seeds I sent you?

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Looks a bit off for a regular tobasco to me as well. I've got some"tobasco" that I'm growing now as well - and suspect mine are a tad varied too.

Jay

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Smokemaster- These have always been smaller than the rest of my plants (even in the same sized solo cups), but the root systems were just as big, if not bigger than the rest of my plants during transplant. I had one in a 3 gallon and one in a 5 gallon that I put into these smaller pots because I thought the pots were too big for these small plants.

Judo- They could be. I think I got some from someone else in a trade as well but I am not 100% sure. I think itâÂÂs pretty cool, a dwarf plant flowering like crazy. I just have never grown a tabasco before and I wasnâÂÂt sure if this is what I should expect.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I do remember sending you seeds labeled "tiny tabasco"

if i did, you're welcome. it's a wonderful plant. pods are delicious, and far hotter than the 50k SHU that is normal for a tabasco.

I strongly suspect it's either a cross, or mislabeled. the plant the seeds came from never got taller than 10" but gave me hundreds of pods, none of which were bigger than 3/4" long.

I'm growing it out again this year, and it's looking exactly the same, except the pods are already bigger than they ever got last year. don't let the size of the plant fool you, it still has a normal pepper plant sized root system, and should be treated accordingly.

has anyone grown out grove/indian mound peppers? do they look like this? someone suggested that's what they might be. given that a tabasco is supposed to come in around 50k SHU, and a grove pepper is supposed to come in around 100, and these peppers are way hotter than 50k, it seems reasonable.

I've got mine in a 2gal nursery pot with promix BX mixed with 1/3 perlite, and he's the only plant that has had every bud set a pod except the first few. but the one last year was in terrible soil, and still had every bud set a pod. maybe it's just really strong genetic stock.

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

Short yellow tabasco.

Note pod shape compared to regular tabasco.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/tabasco-pepper-seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Tabasco

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep judo I think they are the ones you sent me. I went back through and looked at my seeds and I only have one set of seeds labeled Tabasco. I can't wait to try these peppers out. Thanks again!

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

smoke: those are close, I've seen that one. but these grow upright, and ripen red. those are pendants, rounder, and ripen orange.

perhaps it's the same dwarf gene expression. whatever it is, it grows up to be a cool looking plant, with delicious, fairly hot pods. they make a delicious sauce.

I have plenty more seeds if anyone is interested.

Sponsored