Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Mystery Pepper?

Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 21:16

I grew this pepper from seed obtained by a Garden Web member. It is supposed to be a Blue Mystery Pepper. It does not look like any other pepper I have grown before and I am wondering if anyone can confirm this is a Blue Mystery. It has looked pretty much the same as this picture since it was a small seedling and is just bigger now.
Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Mystery Pepper?

What kind of soil you using?

fyi I have no idea what kind of pepper it is post a picture after it fruits

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 22:52

The soil is 5-1-1 mix. 5 parts sifted pine bark, 1 part Perlite and 1 part soil.
Yah, the way my season has gone, the darn thing will never fruit. Actually, this one plant has grown better than most of my other seedlings. I do hope it flowers and fruits soon. I am anxious to see how it looks if it is truly a Blue Mystery.
Bruce

o

I cannot confirm it but you can compare with my plant to see the differences. I got some free seeds from www.peperlover.com and I have grown it.

Blue Mystery:

Blue Mystery photo IMG_1723_zpsf0e6b463.jpg

Caelian

o

Caelian how old is that pepper? So we can compare to Bruce's

Mark

o

Mark, my seedling is about 5/6 months old.

The characteristic of the plants, such as the stem and leaves are a bit different to compare to my seedlings. If it is belonged to the same variety there will be some similarities, I think. The difference I found to see the picture is the stem. His BM's stem looks thick. The leaves are curled so I cannot say the similarity. Probably the different age may looks different even a same variety of plants. I am not sure, just I am guessing.

I have a couple of seedlings without name tags. I forgot to put it back when I repotted. So I compared with my other seedlings and guessed it should be Scorpion or Ghost because I see the similarities, the leaves and the stem. Until it yields fruits I cannot confirm it.

Caelian

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 20:22

Here is an updated photo of my Blue Mystery. It does seem to have different shaped leaves than the photo by Chilliwin, however, its overall shape seems pretty similar. My plant has just branched for the first time and is growing tall like Chilliwins.
Bruce

o

Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 21:14

Just found this old thread. I decided to update it. It was indeed a Blue Mystery.

photo 20130629BlueMysteryPepper2_zpsf8c5e010.jpg

This is just before I pulled it for the season. The third seem of the garage door is 64" from the pavement.

photo 20130906BlueMysteryPepperover4feet2_zpsce2c19b7.jpg

o

can we get a closeup pic of the pods? also, any commentary on flavor or heat?

o

Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 0:39

Judo: I am sorry, I didn't do a very good job of taking pictures of this plant. However, I have cropped out part of a picture that shows the pods pretty good. The pods are not very big but there are a lot of them and if you look close, you will see the ripe (red) on down low. I circled it in yellow. There were very few ripe pods when I took this photo. I never did taste the peppers so I cannot comment on the heat or taste...dumb me. I grew it for the ornamental value and just the fun of it. But I understand they are fairly hot, at least jalapeno hot anyway. If you click on the photo below, I believe it will expand to full size.
Bruce

o

Judo, i sent Bruce the seed for it. Like Caelien said, my original seed also came from pepperlover.com. i will see if i can dig up some pics. Little peppers that turn a dark blue where the sun hits them, eventually turning red. Not quite as hot as Bradleys Bahamiam, its a pretty juicy little pepper, different unique flavor, very productive, hundreds of tiny peppers. Its cool if you like wild and different stuff. John

o

Very nice, Bruce

Caelian

o

Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 10:59

John, Yes, you did send me the seed for the Blue Mystery. I have send and received so many seeds I cannot keep track of them all. I love the generosity of folks on this forum. I have sent out much more seed than I have received and I enjoy doing so but it just seems if a guy is looking for a certain seed, he is more likely to find it here on the forum than elsewhere and I have only had one cross so far from a list member but I was told before hand there was a real possibility on that seed of being a cross. I have had worse luck with "established" seed sources. And like I said, I don't think you can even by the Blue Mystery seed commercially as it is a "wild" pepper.
Thanks to Scorpion_John and everyone else that has sent me seed. It is really appreciated.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here