Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Mystery pepper plant, identification please

habjolokia z 6b/7
10 years ago

I originally posted on the thread for Black pearls thread link provided below. But one of my BP was not like the others, same seed stock from a seed swap 3 grew true but one is an odd ball. I know for sure it was not a mix up with my seeds when planting as I have never seen a white flower with purple. It has not opened so not sure if just the tips are purple or more. Any ideas based off the flower?

Thanks,
Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Pearl thread

This post was edited by habjolokia on Tue, May 14, 13 at 22:17

Comments (56)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That flower turned into a pod so far it's doing well although small plant.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the whole plant, not very big but has a total of 3 pods.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Mark, I can't confirm but I will say that is one helluva gorgeous plant there!!!

Grace

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Seems a bit big for a filius blue. I grow them, I will have to wait for mine to set flowers, I don't remember what they looked like, but I think I'd remember that, it's a gorgeous flower. My filius stay small and look like little shrubs, small leaves. Their stem also gets woody really fast, so they really look like little trees. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the ones I have right now when I get home.
    Pam

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Grace thanks, I did a google search and came up with filius blue but no telling if its accurate. That's why I asked confirmation.

Hi Pam, I would like to see a pic of your filius blue plant to compare. So far from your description it's not sounding like I found what pepper plant I have.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

ok, here you go, these aren't on the web, so I have to make a post for each one. Please excuse the aphids, I couldn't believe them when I opened up the pics, these aren't with the rest of my peppers, they are off on their own, the peppers that are all together have been cleaned by the lady bugs... So I went and caught a couple and put them on my filius... I hate aphids.
    Pam

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Here's the one with the aphids. sorry the flower isn't in as good of focus as I would like (should have done it manually instead of autofocus).

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

here's #3... this plant was started from seed late Nov. so it's 6 months old, and if you look close you can see the woody stem. and btw Mark I absolutely LOVE those lavender stems. They are gorgeous, whatever you have, if you can duplicate it and it's stable I want to be first in line for seeds!
    Pam

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Pam thanks for the pics, yeah mine does not look like what you have, your flowers have more of the purple color and less of the white. Mine have mostly white with the outer pedals trimmed in purple. Are the leaves normally that mix of green and purple or is that from indoor lighting?

Death to the aphids already had to deal with them ahhhh.

I will collect seeds from this plant and hope its stable, also I will overwinter and see if I can have it survive.

The lavender stems usually comes from being under floro lights and occasionally carry over when under the sun so not sure if its certain plants or lighting and sun. I had a bell last year that stayed that lavender color on the stem and one of my other hot peppers can't remember which variety.

I will keep you all posted once I get a mature pod.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Yeah, I've been fighting aphids since last Nov. I am sick of them. I have lady bugs and their larvae all over the place, but apparently not in the area that I have this plant. nope, the leaves are not like that cos of indoor lighting, the plant is outside in full sun. There is a pic of one fruit in one of the photos. Definitely keep us posted, I want to see the fruit.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Pike's Nursery here is giving away ladybugs this weekend. Oh boy!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I had a variety of this 3 years ago. I got the seed from the flower shop of my buddy. He used that pepper as ornament.

Anyway, I planted some seed the following season. I was surprised to see, for the first time, a pepper plant flower other than white. Also first time ever to see a pepper to star with a color other than green. I never used the fruits, not being sure if it is edible. But I did taste it; It was very hot from the day one.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on the plant

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on pods. I did bite into one and its hot but not too hot. Not sure when they get ripe as I never grew this or know what it is. It sort of looks like the filius blue? Pam can you comment now that it has fruit?

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They turn red, I have not tried this ripe one yet.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Come on Mark your killing me......eat the red one! :) I need to know if it's hot or not. Also, if the flavor is good, that would be worth growing just because of how pretty the flowers are. Keep us updated. Glad to see your're getting settled. Good Luck!

Tim

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are a small pepper. Also the plant itself seems to stay small.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright Tim, you talked me into it. It surprised me. First bite is very sweet shockingly sweet I'd say, but by the next chew I could feel the burn. I would have to say jalapeno or slightly more but no habanero on heat. It burns the sides of the tongue and back of the throat, but not all that bad. It's a nice pepper and I will grow it next year.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Sweet! Nice clean little pods.

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh.

Well it's a compact plant, it's only about 1 1/2 to two foot tall and about the same wide. Green, quickly to black, then finally to red pod color. It's prolific enough for the size of the plant.

Tim let me know if you want seeds.

Mark

• dac596
    10 years ago

Looks alot like my checkoslovakian black. It doesn't ripen as bright a red though, more of a burgandy. same size,plant, and flower.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked out some images of czechoslovakian black pepper looks like a larger pod and full purple flowers. Here is a full size shot of the plant from the top. I do think its a BP cross with another type of pepper.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It tries real hard in the beginning with the pearl shape but loses the battle by the time it ripens to red.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot not too far or not too close. I do like it since they say a BP has no flavor or not so good flavor and just heat. This has a sweet first taste then a punch of heat to follow. I will save seeds.

Mark

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Those BP-esque black pods against the green leaves and red ripe ones is very striking. I like the growth pattern and form of this plant; it's a beauty, Mark!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grace,

Thanks, if you want any seeds let me know just shoot me an email.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I was making a cross Ghost Chili X white Hab, at the same time I figured cross a Ghost with what ever this pepper was and this is the resulting seedling.

10 years ago

Has a nice look at this stage!

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh,

I am hoping for a pod that is equal to or slightly larger, skin texture of a Bhut, less seeds, and the same sweetness with the power of a Bhut in heat, not asking for much lol! Time will tell. The cots were 98% purple with a hint of green, the lower leaves have blotchy purple mostly near the tip 1/2, I think they will darken up once under the sun. It seems like a long wait until the pods come.

Mark

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    10 years ago

The description you gave, and your pics lead me to think of Thai peppers. They are very sweet at the first bite, hotter that japs, not quite the hab for heat. Small plant, pretty peppers as well. I planted two this year, and both have grown like literal weeds. 5 inches tall, and busy in 10 weeks. I hardened them for two weeks before planting them yesterday.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Mark, I completely missed your post last June asking me about the fruit. Actually, I have seen that fruit before, but I can't place it. It resembles Filius Blue but it's too dark, it also seems similar to Bolivian Rainbow, but you have more colors... I'm stumped.
    Pam

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Pam,

No problem, now for sure it's going to be quite a mix crossing it with a ghost, I hope it keeps the flower color, will be neat to see the outcome.

Centexan, not sure if it fits in with Thai peppers its sweet and hot, pods start out round then go from green to black the pod shape turns pendant and changes red.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cross has developed a flower. Purple became the dominate color for the flower, before it was mostly just the tips. After crossing with a ghost it's light purple all the way around one side. The opposite side of the flower is white.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the top. It's a cool looking flower one side white with slight coloring while light purple on the other side

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Really cool looking plant.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update, so far it's outpaced the original plant, it's larger than the parent plant was by the end of the season. Now just waiting on pods to see what the pepper pod cross looks like.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Already a noticeable trait difference from the parent plant. The pod shape went from no lobes to a tri-lobe pod. Now this plant became interesting to me. So the Ghost chili has some powerful traits coming through, hopefully the heat came with it too.

Mark

• Annie
    8 years ago

Mark, I have a couple questions...

Do BPPs always produce deep purple flowers? Or can the purple vary? Cuz I have 1 plant that is producing flowers similar to your ghost cross above, tho the back isn't quite as white!! The fruit however still look like BP. I might add that this plant is one of my 2 cross-pollination (w/ my "mystery") experiment plants. Tho I've never tried crossing plants before, I'm assuming the flower color would not be affected in the parent plants, correct? Only the seeds would show hybridization once germinated?

• Annie
    8 years ago

Oh, and one more thing... Did the ghost heat come thru in the hybrid plant?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Anne,

What you have pictured looks like a BP, flowers may be a lighter purple but fruit is still BP shape. You are correct parent plant that a flower gets cross pollinated the trait changes would only be seen from the seeds planted. The only thing that I remember coming through the cross with the Bhut was slightly hotter heat and larger pod size, even though it was an intresting cross I did not grow it out since then.

• Annie
    8 years ago

That's interesting. I'm hoping to get something at least edible from crossing my mystery plant w/ the BPs... Does cross-pollinating one or 2 flowers affect ALL the fruits the plant produces, or just those individual pods? Cuz I'm not sure which pods came from the flowers I combined, there's so many right now!! Lol

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Annie,

it would not cross the whole plant, just the flowers you cross pollinated. Crossing can be fun and the results are always interesting and sometimes you get a keeper and other times not so much. I use bread twist ties loosely around the flower to mark the ones I cross. Here is a link that I used as a guide when crossing the flowers.

http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

• Annie
    8 years ago

Hi again Mark

Ok.... I guess I will just have to harvest the seeds from all the current pods on these 2 plants, cuz I forgot which flowers I crossed!! I did mark the pots, but not the individual flowers, so I guess when I start my seeds it will be just be another mystery, unless they don't look BP at all! :/ as I had mentioned before, this is my 1st attempt at cross-pollination, so I guess I have to go by trial & error. Next time I will mark the flowers, so that I know for sure what I'm working with when I harvest. Thanks for your advice!

• Michael Burns
    8 years ago

does anyone know what kinda pepper plant I got here

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Yah, that is a Ghost Pepper. You call tell by the fact that you can't see it.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

Yah, that is a Ghost Pepper.

Yah, but which one?

8 years ago

I've crossed Thai chile with Black Pearl in two ways now....
    The first cross was a Black Pearl mother pollinated by a Thai chile. The result was an elongated mounded pod, with a purple flower on a green plant. This season, I've discovered that I have the reverse cross.....a Thai chile pollinated by the Black Pearl, which has produced a green plant with purple-tinged, white petaled flowers. I am going to grow it out to see what I get. Accidental crosses are always a fun surprise.

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Josh do you have pics of those peppers they sound like cool looking crosses.

Michael Burns, any way you can post a pic so we can help you identify the pepper? Flowers and pepper pods help more so with identification rather than just leaves.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Nice to see you active in this forum Josh. You were pretty quiet for a while until the growing season started.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County