Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing peppers

Posted by wayright zone 7 Ga (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 21:50

I have read on previous posts that ppl freeze peppers before they dehydrate them.I dehydrate most of mine and had a couple questions..Do they maintain their color,texture and are the seeds still viable?
It sure would be easier on me if I could pop em in the deep freeze till im ready for em.:)
---Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing peppers

freezing peppers whole will allow the seeds to be wet. the seeds will therefore die when frozen. the moisture level of seeds must be very low if you dont want them to die.

the peppers freeze and when they thaw out the cells rupture and the moisture pours out. I collect the moisture and have not found a good use for it. maybe some one can help me on this.

after the water is drained off the remaining stuff must be dried out. for me, the idea of freezing thawing and drying reduces the moisture that needs to be dried out. the pepper material when thawed out is like new and fresh. but the drying process can reduce the quality if too hot. or it can go moldy if it takes too long to dry.

One trick is to freeze the longer chile relleno chiles like the anaheim and new mexico type. then thaw out and slice open and stuff and cook. that is suppose to work very well.

I did the process some years ago and made a dry powder. did not cook them like fresh. but that is suppose to be a great way to go. there are some places that sell frozen anaheim type chiles for that purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here