Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect Identification: Part 2

Posted by salevene Medell�n, Colombia (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 22:19

The insects really seem to love this pepper, as I don't have this problem with the other two next to it.

I noticed this infestation today and was hoping you could help identify them and potentially suggest a remedy. The ants were all over it too, they really seemed to like them...

Here are pics of the infestation and a close-up of the actual insects.

Thanks in advance.

photo photo1.jpg

photo photo2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect Identification: Part 2

No idea salavene. I did get a good look at them when I opened it up in photobucket and enlarged it though. I would do the same and post it to the Garden Clinic forum.

Keep us updated.

Kevin

o

Never seen that insect before. Yeah, keep us posted.

Stoney

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:08

Salevene, that appears to be a pepper weevil. As for getting them off your peppers, try the links advice - there are a few organic options in there for management. Hope this helps you.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Weevils

o

Are you sure those aren't aphids? They are the right size and ants farm aphids because they like the sticky substance aphids leave behind after munching on your plants. Is this what you are dealing with:
 photo Chaitophorus_populeti_alate_on_Populus_tremula.jpg
 photo Wasps_aphids.jpg

o

Suspect buffalo tree hoppers.

Eggs are inserted into stems. Babies are bristly things, adults aren't. Squish on sight.

They also attack tomatoes and eggplants.

see this
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/VEGES/PESTS/buftrehop.html

Here is a link that might be useful: buffalo tree hoppers

o

Aphids aren't that big.

o

Just another life stage of what you had before salavene, according to jean(who knows her stuff).

Kevin

o

Yup, definitely think it could be the buffalo treehopers from other pics I've found... also seem to be doing the same type of "damage" to the plant as the ones in the later life stage.

Thanks Jean/Kevin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here