Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

Sissy Plants

obchili
9 years ago

Hi there. I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my oldest plants from this year. They were all strong and healthy. The 2 caribbeans were good until late last week, while hardening off, they wilted, so I put them back inside. They got a bit stronger, then put them back outside then in the garden. They are now like this. I do hope that they will pull through, as they are flowering already. The main stem is still relatively strong, it is just the leaves. They are still solidly attached.

Then I have this sissy. Put it into a 3 gallon pail. It wilted a bit, sprung back at night, then repeat. I had just noticed that the lower leaves turned yellow, and fell off last night and or today. This picture was just taken this evening. As well, my Reaper was just planted also just before this picture. Scorpion is in white pail, reaper in green. White pail has 7 holes I believe, and the green one has 5. All holes are 1/2".

Comments (14)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Are you overwatering?

Stoney

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not believe so. The scorpion went in last week some time, and it springs back and forth. The 2 caribbeans were in 4" pots about 3/4" full, and rootbound I believe. That is why I rushed to get the box finished so I could plant them. I wait till the cups/pots were relatively light, and or the plants were wilting slightly. But upon transplanting, I did water the scorpion well. The Caribbeans were bottom watered and were not overwatered in my opinion. Thank you for the help.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

You should water after transplant.

Hmm...

What kind of soil mix are you using? Looks dark like it has a lot of peat.

Stoney

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They call it 4 way soil. I am not 100% sure. I will try to find out though. I get it from a couple sources. Both plants are planted in soil from different suppliers though. The only thing wierd to me is that all of my smaller plants are doing well though. Thank you.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. 40% Peat Moss, 40% Top Soil, 10% Manure, and 10% Sand. This is what I just found out.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Lets see what others think. I guess as long as it drains well.

Yeah, your other plants look really good!

I use very good potting soil that I just ammend with a tad more perlite. Drains excellent.

Stoney

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Can you shade them?

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Yeah.. try to shade them until they perk back up. Also, you used the stuff with topsoil in the containers? That's a no-no. SoilLESS mixes only in containers.

One more question.. did you scratch the root balls? Root bound plants tend to settle in better when you relax them a bit.

Kevin

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, 4-in-1 soil in the containers. I will ask, but search as we'll, why soil-less for containers? And to your second question, no I did not scratch the root balls.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Soil-less mix in containers primarily because soil compacts into big water-logged hockey pucks. And containers are too small to sustain the organisms present in garden soil that keeps it useable. Use a potting mix (not soil), like Miracle Grow Potting Mix.

You score or break up the root ball of root-bound plants to promote the roots spreading out into the new dirt. If you don't they sit there in the same ball and ignore the new territory.

Dennis

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the explanation and help.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I suggest shade as other have suggested. What have your daytime temps been like?

Also, when you transplanted them, did you damage the root ball at all? How did the root system look when you pulled them out their previous containers? Did they look like healthy roots?
    Bruce

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not damage the root ball at all when transplanting. They got this way only a couple of days before the transplant. The roots looked healthy to me. Nice and white, unless that is bad. It is my first year, so I am not too sure what a healthy root looks like. I know I should have taken pictures. As for temperatures, above normal. Daytime highs from 76 to 86, then add on a couple of extra digits for the humidity. Thursday we are expecting 95 with the humidity. Thank you. I may have to look into shading them.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think they are wilting NOT because of
    -- watering,
    --- soil type/mix

They are wilting b'c they have not been properly hardened off.That is particularly for sun exposure.

The soil mixture can/may become a problem later on in the season but not right away.

SAND:
    It is totally useless if not harmful. UNLESS it is very coarse sand. Fine sand less, than 40%, is not going to contribute to drainage and in smaller amounts either has no benefit or it will just fill the gaps preventing good drainage.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone