Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed seedlings

Posted by esanford none (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 22:30

Hi there! I'm new to pepper planting, and I got one of those mixed packets of seeds (never again!). Of course, I didn't think it through and planted two seeds in each pod just like the instructions said, so now I've got pairs of seedlings coming out of each one that are who knows what variety. They are about a month old, and luckily they are growing in at least three distinct heights (but not four). My question is, since I'll have a hard time knowing which are which, should I just let them grown in pairs all season, or should I do my best to pare it down to one in each pod right now?

Also, some of my taller seedlings are starting to tip over the last few days. Is that normal, or does that mean they need something? I was planning to keep them in the little starter pods until they get planted in the ground after six weeks or so...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed seedlings

pics??

flying blind - I'd clip one off and have only one per pod or try to separate them before they get too big.

o
RE: Mixed seedlings

Why not pot them up? I use those 18oz plastic cups. Make a few triangular cuts on the bottom for the excess water to escape and move them to a bigger "pot". Six weeks is a long time, you might as well give them room to grow. No?

Also what part of the country are you in?

Rudy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here