Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big do these plants get?

Posted by ColoradoSteph 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 22:35

Hi all,
This is my 2nd year with a veggie garden and first year attempting any sort of pepper. I purchased anaheim and sweet banana pepper transplants from a local nursery which I plan to plant in containers. Yes I know only one is a hot pepper and this is the hot pepper forum, however I am hoping you all can help me with my questions. :)

Is the anaheim or sweet banana pepper a larger plant? What size of container should I plant each one in? I have a vacant 14" pot... would this be satisfactory for either one? I also plan to purchase 1 or 2 half whiskey barrel planters. Could I fit both in one barrel? Would one plant per barrel be overkill? If I have space I plan to grow maybe a 3rd pepper, however I'm not sure on the variety.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I am loving reading these forums and learning so much just from that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big do these plants get?

I have several whiskey barrels and put 2 in each all the time with great production. No problem. I've never grown banana, but with the Anaheims, tomato cages help immensely. They'll get about 4-5 feet high with loads of heavy fruit -- so the cages are perfect for them. About the only varieties I don't use cages are the chinense varieties -- much more bushy and compact and the pods are very light.

I've read that people put even more plants in containers this size, but I opt not to.

Good luck.

Kevin

o

Thanks so much for the input it is very helpful! I just came home with 2 whiskey barrels, so I think I will put the anaheim and sweet banana pepper in one of them. Now what to grow in the other whiskey barrel and in the 14" pot. :)

o

Maybe 1 more of each, so you'll have plenty. Maybe a poblano, serrano or jalapeno?

Before you drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of your whiskey barrels, you may want to fill them up with water and let set for a couple days to leach all the alcohol out.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here