Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spongey600

transplant pepper plants dropping leafs

Spongey600
12 years ago

I transplanted 5 seedlings this past Monday, and the weather was perfect, but since the weather has gotten colder, its been windy and in the 60's. I pulled them inside, and 2 days later i came home and my devils tongue, and yellow 7 pot had dropped all but 1 set of leaves and the new ones growing out. The other 3 are just fine no leaf drop. Any ideas of the cause, should I just leave them inside our of the cold till them make a.rebound? I am really.new.to growing peppers, I had only watered them.once I transplanted, not since

Comments (11)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Did you "harden" them off before putting them outside?

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I did, 5 days before I transplanted them, I would get home at 515, put them out for an hour, and kept increasing the time outside. Then I left.after the 5th day I left them all outside for 2 days then transplanted them, but it went from 80 to 65 and windy in 2 days, so not sure if that had any bearing on it.

• noinwi
    12 years ago

It could be a combination of transplant shock and too much wind. They should recover, give them time. You can always put something around them(open at the top)to protect them from further wind damage until they get more new growth. I've had peppers bounce back from bare sticks after they were suns-scalded.

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks! that is good to haer! I ended up just bringing them insidenet to my slider so thy will get almost the same amount of sun but since they are inside they will be protected from the elements. once they start to bounce back, should i re harden them? considering they are now inside again where it stays above 60 degrees.

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I did, 5 days before I transplanted them, I would get home at 515, put them out for an hour, and kept increasing the time outside. Then I left.after the 5th day I left them all outside for 2 days then transplanted them, but it went from 80 to 65 and windy in 2 days, so not sure if that had any bearing on it.

• noinwi
    12 years ago

Yes, you'll have to re-harden them once they've been inside for a while. The new growth will be tender.

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well an update, the little guys are holding on! i gave them a little reg MG fert, and i have them under my buddies full spectrum lamp, i am still worried, but i am keeping faith!

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i think my devils tongue is on his way out! the top of the stem where the leaves grow from was brown this morning, and all the leaves are limp. i am going to keep my faith for another week and see if it sprouts elsewhere, then i will try to see if i can get another little guy!

• seysonn
    12 years ago

I don't think that temps going down fro 80 to 65 could pose a proble but the opposit could. leaves droop because they loose more moisture than they get from the roots. This could due to too much sun, too dry and windy air.This can happen to any plant, not just new transplants. The solution is to keep them watered.This particular complain comes mostly from zone, 9 and 10 gardeners.

• OjoVerde
    12 years ago

Hey there, check out the link below. I was concerned about my plant's stem turning brown/black as well. Does your stem look like the stem pictured in the link?

If so, don't freak out like I did... that dark color is normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Stem = A.O.K.

• Spongey600
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OJO, i actually knew about the stems getting dark color from last season when my jalepeno plant did that! but thank you for the help just in case! this plant is only about 3-4" tall and it had lost all its leaves then where the leaves sprout out turned brown and the leaves fell off! so no leaves and a brown tip=dead! :( so i called the guy i bought them from and i am going to pick up a few more plants tomorrow! a new devils tongue, and 3 others i am not sure about, want to see if he has something that is similar in heat as a jalepeno for the GF and a good stuffing pepper, and then maybe something off the wall

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus