Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jutsfl

Finally found a good sprayer (hose/fert attachment)

jutsFL
9 years ago

I had tried a couple of other brands, and was rather disappointed - to say the least. My first purchase was by far the worst one made... The MG version! What an unreliable piece-o-crap that thing was. If you're in the market for one, I highly recommend this brand. I tested it with my water pressure by filling a calibrated bucket. It puts out one gallon in exactly 21 seconds. Now for the best part, when I set it to 1 ounce - the level of the reservoir goes down by precisely 1 ounce in 21 seconds! It is set by the manufacturer to be accurate at a standard of 40-50 psi (I believe), so my water pressure must fall somewhere in that range. It's spot on though - when I set it for 2 ounces, sure enough the reservoir is down by 2 ounces in 21 seconds.

Mighty accurate for this piece of equipment, just thought I'd share - as y'all could reap the benefits from my previous blunders in the trials of products.
(It's preformed this well even with non-liquid style fertilizers, I just mix them well in the reservoir with warm water first)

...total cost 9.95 @ Wally World

Jay

Comments (16)

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Nice to know thanks. Does it work with liquid fertilizer ? Right now I'm swearing by mg liquifeed. But I agree all the mg sprayers are junk.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

good luck Jay! I have another brand. I think it is Ortho.

These units are for spraying like herbicide and pesticides, NORMALLY.

But if you want to use them as spray fertilizer, then the fertilizer should be in a concentrated liquid form.
    I don't do spray fertigation. Once in a while I do foliar feeding on a small scale.

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SC - it's actually made for liquid concentrates. It actually has an adapter on the inside that will screw on to "standard" brimmed smaller bottles for the reservoir as well.

Seysonn- I don't actually spray the foliage with it, rather aim at the dirt and use it for regular style fert/watering sessions.

To my surprise it's working flawlessly with crystalline style ferts - I just mix them well w warm water first.

Jay

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SC - the yellow piece is the adapter I was speaking of, and it comes with a longer tube as well (for deeper bottles that may be attached)

Jay

• technochimp89
    9 years ago

Jay, thanks for the heads up. I've been wondering how I'm going to keep fertilizing all the peppers now they're outside. I was going to use a two gallon pump sprayer, but I think this would be a little more effective. Picking one up this weekend for sure.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

this is the same one I have. I bought it at lowes for slightly more money though, my walmart's garden section is very disappointing.

no complaints about it after 8 months of use.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think it is a versatile gadget if you want to do a lot of application (fertilizing, aiming at soil level). I like it. It is compact and the adapter is a bonus. Plus it has no parts to break. A simple design based on venturi principle. .
    On small scale, I just use good ole 2 gallon watering can. I have about 300 Sq-ft garden area plus about 20 potted plants.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Nice! Does anyone know of an option for those of us working with 90 psi secondary water?

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to hear that it'll last Judo, I'm only at a few weeks with mine - no hiccups yet either though.

...not sure with the high (90psi) water pressure djoy, it may handle it ... But the ratios would surely be off.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

can't you just turn the valve down at the hose connection to the house, to turn down the pressure a bit?

• 0x0is0
    9 years ago

This is an old school fertilizer sprayer I use from Gilmour. Still works great.

I bought it at a Mom and Pop shop a long time ago. It came in a very retro looking retail box, no barcode, parts list with prices and diagrams on backside, and made in USA. (Say what?!?!)

Bottle feels like very good plastic, solid brass flute-like dilution head of various diameter holes, and it can spray like a cone or fan, and spray far.

I like it a lot.

This post was edited by 0x0is0 on Fri, May 16, 14 at 5:11

• 0x0is0
    9 years ago

Picture #2

• scott123456
    9 years ago

jutsFL I too bought the crap MG one. Thanks to your recommendation I picked up one just like yours. My question is, are the settings measurements per gallon? It just says 1 tsp, 2 tsp, ect.. but nothing about how much water. I havenâÂÂt used it yet, I just got home with it.

Thanks again,
    Scott

• technochimp89
    9 years ago

Scott, I just picked on up yesterday and as far as I can tell, the dial is for how much content per gallon. It took me a little to get my math right, but I finally got the ratio of nutrients right and have the dial set to the total amount I would add to a gallon. (4 tsp in my case)

I tested this by filling a 1 gallon container with the sprayer and comparing it to what I would normally mix up. The color looks the same, so I guess it must be about right.

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your assumptions are correct. The dilution rate is (setting)/gallon. So a setting of 2 ounces will put 2 ounces of your solution into every gallon sprayed.

So for me for instance (a random example).. Say I had 7 plants that I want to receive 1 gallon each of fert. MG states a dilution of 1tbs/gal. So I add 7 tbs of MG to the container and fill it with water till it's at the 7 ounce mark. Set it to 1ounce. (I have tested my water pressure and know that 1 gallon is sprayed in 21 seconds)... So now if I water my plants for 21 seconds I know they are getting 1 gallon of water with 1tbs of MG (in the correct dilution)... This thing has been a lifesaver in time.

Jay

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know the above post was just a random example, but I thought I should add this: to get a better result from the sprayer in the above scenario, a wiser choice would be to dilute the same 7tbs of MG in 21 ounces of water.. Then set the sprayer to 3 ounces. It would give the same ratio per gallon to the plant and allow the fret to be better mixed in the reservoir.

Jay

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor