Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Pinching first blooms

brian6464
9 years ago

I'm sure this has been covered multiple times...but I've got lots of plants so I just want to make sure.

I started my peppers a few weeks too early and they are just now getting outside in my boxes. They were in 20 oz solo cups, but did get a little root bound and started putting out blooms.

The plants are a very healthy dark green, with thick stems, but most are under 12" and now have anywhere from a couple to 20+ blooms.

As an example, my Reaper is ~11" tall, but has around 16 blooms starting.

My assumption is that I should pinch all blooms now so that plants can grow larger right now and properly support future growth. Is this correct?

Comment (1)

• ab2008
    9 years ago

I pinch the blooms on most of mine at times. Mine are out in the garden now but I just let them do their things. Last year I didn't pinch any blooms and a few of my 7 pot plants got well over 5 feet tall and over 6 feet wide. They will be fine I'm almost certain. It doesn't hurt though, and does help the plants focus a bit more on growing. I would assume you would want to do it to increase yield if you are growing for making sauces and such and doing it on a professional level, but outside of that your plants should be fine.

Sponsored