Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

Assam Chili

ronnyb123
9 years ago

Has anyone ever grown this chili plant called "Assam". It is not the "Ghost" from Assam but a separate entity altogether. It is a Capsicum annum, not a Chinese variety. These are long slender pods (cayenne type). I am just trying to find info on it. One guy says it has 800,000 SKU, some just say it is super hot, others just hot. These are either from India or Mexico but I get more India then Mexico in the searches.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Did a search using: Assam -bhut annuum pepper

Based on the images in the few results found (one being Reimers which I normally take with a grain of salt), I'd hazard a guess that this is just another case of someone renaming an existing variety.

If I was a betting man I'd say that the "Assam" you're looking for is the said to be most popular / widely grown / commonly used pepper in India; the Pusa Jwala. If it is, then the 800k SHU claim is way off. Based on my growing it out I'd say 100k - 150k max.

Of course, I could be wrong but it looks an awful lot like the Pusa.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ottawapepper. If it is a Pusa Jwala, I can live with that. I believe you could be right and this is just another name of a chili that people are trying to sell. There is just no data out there on this and Reimers descriptions I dont trust either.

A few brands simular are the Khorika Jolokia from Assam or a Teja Indian.

semillas.de has a picture but almost no description.

Thanks again

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Could it be the "Naga Jolokia PC-1," also called the Tezpur? It looks like a skinny cayenne, a lot like the Indian Jwala. It is a frutescens.

Josh

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It could be but I hope its not. Flavor is not that great on this one. I also hear there is also a Annum version.

We will know soon enough. It is getting ready to flower, which will tell alot about the plant. I think these are pure white.

I noticed there is also a purple version of the fruit with purple flowers. That would be cool.

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Ya, the guy claiming 800k might be referring to the Naga Jolokia PC-1 but he'd still be way over on the heat.

Josh, I may be having a senior moment but I'm pretty sure the PC-1 is a C. frutescens. Based on pictures on the two sites I found, the so called "Assam" pods grow down. The PC-1 pods grow upward like Thais etc.

I'm still in the Pusa camp ;-)

Then again,

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal, is some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
    (Douglas Adams 1998)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hey, Bill, yes the PC-1 is a C. frutescens.
    When I google images, I see downward and upward growing pods.

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Thanks for pointing out the up / down growth Josh. I've only grown it once, probably six years ago. I only recall the upright growth.

I just happen to have a PC-1 growing this season to refresh my seed stock. I'll let you know what I observe growth wise.

Bill

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dont know guys. after reading this, I think it is another naming issue. I do not believe it is this chili though. There are no pods yet, but the closed flower point down.

The real deal is a Chinense, but there are also Annuum & Frutescen versions (shown here) grown across the world which are no where near as hot. The anuum version is sold under the name PC-1 in the US and the heat level is medium/hot (at best) despite the claims of 'ebay seed sellers'.

Here is a link that might be useful: TEZPUR

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:02

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what the "Assam" chili looks like. Pure white flower, green fruit ripening to red.

Still not sure of the real name though. It looks like it could be the Pusa Jwala. Pods look right and the flower looks the same (pure white).

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 22:44

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

I'm still sticking with my original Pusa Jwala guess, your shot looks like the ones I've grown.

Here's a shot of the Naga Jolokia PC-1 I'm growing this year for comparison.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm