Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flo9_gw

Dogs and Super hot peppers growing in/outdoor Q

flo9
9 years ago

Hey,

A few questions...

So I have a bunch of super hots.. various kinds and I heard you need to wear gloves for. I have a dog and neighbors has cats etc... I read somewhere it's dangerous for animals to touch on the plant. Is this true??? Because now I'm too concerned to leave them on the patio and I can't section them off with fencing etc..

I have a den where I could keep my dog out of the room to grow them by a window... I assume that would be safe for my dog to not get harmed if Q above is true???

I have brain yellow, aji, black cobra, PI, goat weed, and a rare one with no info on it. I know 2 names above is the same type.. forget which.

Comments (30)

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Can't speak for your dog but mine couldn't care less about them. Biggest danger is that wagging whip, I mean tail, knocking off pods when he's in the garden with me. He's never even sniffed a pepper plant.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

they would have to break open a pod. there's nothing dangerous about the plant itself.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Agreed... They'd have to actively eat a pod for any harm. Merely brushing them won't harm you or the pets. Luckily my pup (border collie mix) is a gentle one - and doesn't haphazardly crush through my plants!

Jay

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

scgreenthumb, My dog loves to sniff all of the things I grow.. she's just curious. So far she hasn't tried to eat off the plants the past few years even the abundance of snow peas I grow for her and she knows are all hers... seems to wait until I picked them for her.

And Judo.. that's what I thought... must be broken open, but I wasn't sure. This is the first time I've done super hots... cayenne only in past and it was fenced off so wild animals couldn't get to some of my garden.

So I guess cats, squirrels and birds aren't interested in them either? I'm respectful to neighbors. If wilds animals break them open.. the juice is a concern of mine too getting on the patio floor, and of course to the wilds.

Thanks Jay for the feedback :)

Thanks!

This post was edited by flo9 on Fri, May 9, 14 at 0:26

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Lucky for you. My dog is as sweet and obedient as can be. But about as graceful as a bull on skates. 140 lbs of rottie/chocolate lab mix..

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Most animals have natural instinct and know the plants. Dogs are among the smartest and they have a super smelling power that can even smell heat of pepper inside the pod.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

My dog and cat have never been harmed by them. My dog used to want to put her bones under my plants, but I cage them from the transplant, so she doesn't do that any longer. Plus, she's afraid I'm going to take her bones now so she buries them away from ME. The cat LOVES to garden with me and about the only thing he like to chew on is onion leaves.

I wouldn't worry.

By the way, birds are immune to the heat, so they might steal some pods.

Kevin

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Agree with Kevin and others. No worries.
    Our cat is indoor only but we do have neighborhood cats and even a bobcat once and they never harmed my plants which are at ground level on my open back patio.
    Yes, birds love peppers..especially the small pequin type which I'm growing.
    It's starting to pod up so time for the bird netting :-)

Stoney

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow I didn't know that about birds Kevin. Alright, thanks guys... I feel okay to have some on my patio then. I haven't had a problem with squirrels yet... only one I noticed last year and my dog scared it off. But my neighbor's cat waits for us to leave to snatch my cilantro.

LOL.... I'm telling you guys... it took me a week to figure it out how or what was getting it last year. I could tell it wasn't bugs. Then I caught it red handed. It would wait for us to leave.... my dog and I. lol it's pretty funny if you saw it how I witnessed one day. I researched it and apparently cilantro is one of cats favorite snacks. I plan to try to grow them some since they have 3 or 4... all indoors except for 1 is aloud out.

Alright... so hopefully these plants do well..... I'm excited if they do.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

My dogs leave my peppers alone (sweet and hot), sadly they don't leave my asparagus, blue berries, strawberries, squash, tomatoes, or melons alone. I once looked out and saw our Pyr with a big melon in his mouth tugging for his life to get it off the plant. My girls walk around with orange on their noses from wandering the tomato plants to pick the best ones. GRRRR......
    Pam

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's pretty funny Pam. I'm not for certain about melon, but I'd fence it off incase they eat the seeds which most fruit seeds are toxic for dogs. I know it's fine for them to eat small amounts of melon however.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

My dog randomly attacks my pepper plants. He will have them well within reach for weeks, then all of a sudden, he will decide one of them is a toy. One year, he chewed up a Hot Hungarian Wax pod off a plant I was overwintering and didn't seem any worse the wear for it. I guess I should overwinter a Bhut instead.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 8:32

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Actually I have a nice wood fence (with chicken wire stapled to it to keep the rabbits out), they jump the fence. I also have, can't think of the name now, but they produce berries. When green they are poisonous, once they turn purple they are not. I had one of my top show dogs who would sit out and eat those berries all the time. When I first discovered her doing it I ran out and realized she was spitting out the green ones and only eating the purple ones. She was smarted than I expected. ;-)
    Pam

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I've had no problems with dogs. it's the neighborhood cats that drive me crazy. they seem to like jumping off my fence right onto my herb garden, flattening a lot of plants. they also seem to like uprooting seedlings, and knocking over pots. I started spraying them with a hose every time I see them in my yard, which has cut back the attacks a lot. I need to get a water gun to keep by the door, now they tend to get away before the hose gets them.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Withdrawn post.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 18:29

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

When I was first starting out a few years ago, I remember my first two tiny Bonny plants from Home Depot, a serrano and a tabasco that I planted on my tiered off hillside (I live near the mountains on a hill).
    A stray dog made it through a space in our rod iron front fence/wall.
    I watched as he nearly trampled my tabasco!
    I went out and threw a water ballon at him.
    Fixed the fence since. We all grow peppers which is actually time consumingjust to watch some animal destroy it all in a matter of seconds.

Stoney

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please..... I suggest no harm.... no animal cruelty. It's quite clear my thread never suggested this.... and it isn't respectful to suggest any harm to our loved animal beings on Earth.

If you have a rant... take it off of my energy and threads. Because I do not support this, never would encourage it nor is it wanted on MY threads.

I simply asked for some knowledge and experience on the question I started this post on about.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS.... what is most strange about it.... people that support animal rights are on the top 3 most dangerous terrorist list... people that like to kill the animals or give suggestions how to in a rage concept etc... rage or not... is acceptable and aren't on the top list.

Just try to remember... this ISN'T your planet.... you only live here just like all of the other wild animals. Show them respect as they give to you too...... they need food as we do. Blame corporates any everything else and realize you have a part in it too.... even if not banking in their money. Mother Earth provided all the food to give to all living.... she had no intentions for strip malls etc....

I always have a free garden for wild animals. Ironically... since I am free loving... they never bother my food. Think about it... pffttt bugs and animals know the respect of the vegetable kingdom....

• chilemilio
    9 years ago

My dog performs a periodic inspection on my pepper plants, but hasn't tried pulling anything off that i'm aware of. I still haven't figured out what he's looking for, hasn't been coincidental with fert or anything.

About a year ago (still a puppy), he got hold of a few random hot peppers that fell on the floor. He always went through the same dance: chews on it briefly, then jumps back and barks at it, maybe paw at it a bit... then tries to chew it again, and tosses it.. then jumps away and barks at it.. etc..

He'd calm down after i took the pepper, and stopped licking his lips after chewing on some ice. It really seemed like he was upset with the pepper for burning him.

Based on what I read here, it really depends on your dog. Otherwise, just making sure they don't fall on the floor should be enough.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chilemillo,

Fun experiences to read... nah I bet your dog didn't like it but knew you like them and tried to relate/identify... You're probably seen as the Alpha. :)

About 1 1/2 years ago... I made some chili and had a pile of raw onions on top of it. I placed my plate on the coffee table. I "ran" next door to get something for my dinner... I was in process of moving from next doors and most things were still in that fridge... I came back within 2 minutes.... first time ever my dog indulged in my plate of food.... LOL... she went to town on my food!!!!!! Freaking thank God she spit out the raw onions. That is was impressed me... I had 10 servings of chili to be had... didn't care for any missing since it was just me to be fed, but the fact she spit all the onions out. Onions are deadly for dogs... it's a toxin.

Where we use to live I illegally strolled her through a public park where dogs aren't aloud..... %%^&*( what I have to say about that! We were never told to leave. They have a bamboo section... I didn't know if it was toxic or not and kept telling my dog no. I looked it up and bamboo leaves are safe for dogs to eat. She won't touch them after my strictly saying no about 5-10 times in a few walks.

They have their smarts.

So I think the reason why your dog is playing with the pepper is due to he/she very much loving you and seeing you as the Alpha.

EDIT... I did call my vet on an off hour emergency call... I was concerned about the cayenne I had added to the chili.... she told me so long as she isn't vomiting she is most likely okay... and to give her Kaopectate if she appears to have an upset stomach.... this over the counter human drug is safe for cats and dogs on our relating issues... just make sure to ask your vet if okay to give them and the proper dose... they require far less than us... too much can kill them.

This post was edited by flo9 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 19:17

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To whom it concerns....

Thank you for deleting it ( wrongful animal killings) respecting my wishes on my being and my not wanting that on this thread I started. So I take it you are respecting me and the wild life.. at least for the moment.

Thank you!

Enjoy a piece of nature while it last. :)

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there a way to block a member on here???

I just got an insane super long message from Bruce (esox07)a few days ago sent to my personal email address about how he finds it okay to shot animals with BB guns etc......... I didn't read most of the email. He went off on a cruel rant.

My post isn't asking how to kill or hurt animals...... my post is ENTIRELY the opposite.

And keep your f'up mind out of my thread and don't reply if you have no good intentions on the animal kingdom and wish to cause harm. If someone shot you with some BB's or bullets you'd feel pain and might lose an eye......... ask any yet how many animals are brought in due to getting shot by a BB. Their bodies are small and more fragile than ours.
    And it IS seen by the GOV for potential human murders shooting animals with BBS.

Back off Bruce... get some help for your mind.

9 years ago

flo9:

Bruce is one of the most respected and respectful members in this forum. Hence, his VOLUNTARY removal of his post.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but some people throughout this country have incredible problems with critters and such; and in many cases, these critters affect their food supply.

I'm on your side of the fence as far as animal cruelty is concerned, but I also understand the use of whatever means to deter and decrease the damage that god's creatures can do to one's garden. Do I agree with the use of a BB gun? No and yes. Simply by understanding that I spend months rasing a seedling, preparing and feeding the soil, building a trellis or cage, watering and caring for my "kids"(plants). And to walk out one day to see my kid has been killed either by a hornworm, a gopher, deer, squirrels, or even my own damn dog makes one want to protect future plants. And I'll use whatever means necessary. Do I use a bb gun? No. But I don't have squirrels and such that may require one..

Living in suburban San Diego, I get gophers and insects that do damage. By planting flowers and attracting beneficial insects that kill the pests in my garden make me a bad person? Does spraying an organic pesticide? Does killing gophers with traps or poison? Do I need to have MY head checked out?

Like I said, I lean towards your side. But I understand and respect what others have to deal with. And if the use of a BB gun deters certain critters, who am I to take judgment?

One more question -- are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Respectfully,

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Dear flo9,

Take a hike. Come back when you develop a sense of humor.

Dennis

• ab2008
    9 years ago

Pft.... And much better than what some people would have opted for. I'd say leave the drama at the door and continue to talk about peppers and leave animal loving or hating to another thread. This is the net and if you can't handle someones belief/thoughts on the matter just ignore it. Making ranting posts about it just causes necessary drama.

Grow thicker skin.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

flo the reason the AR are on top of the list is because they are terrorists. I have and always will support animal welfare but the AR are scary. Read some literature about them, they do not care for animals, only to get their agenda through. Sorry, but it's a sore spot with me, (why, cos I love my dogs, cats, and parrot and the AR wants to do away with all pets, they should be free not kept captive) and sorry to go off topic (peppers).

and yes Kevin, you do need to have your head checked, but not for the above comments. ;-)

btw, my husband gets mad at the dogs when they kill rabbits (and mad at me for not stopping them). I have no problem with it cos they are extremely destructive rodents, they've destroyed way too many hours of my work... luckily they don't bother my peppers.

Pam

P.S. I still like you Bruce ;-)... heck, there's times I'd like to shoot my own dogs, and not always with a BB gun - we have an escape artist who's also a runner, we always say we'd like to have a taser to stop him before he gets off the property. ;-)

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Mon, May 19, 14 at 13:19

9 years ago

Pam: must be that Okie blood my mom brought to Cali. :P

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, thanks guys, I just got back from a camping trip.
    Someone asked how to deter dogs from attacking peppers and one person suggested a hose. Well, by the time you turn the hose on and get close enough, the dog is gone only to come back later. I suggested 1-2 pumps from a BB gun. Heck, we used to play BB tag with as many as 5 pumps when I was a kid. Yah, but we were kids and that is what kids do.
    It isn't going to injure the dog, just let him know he should look for other plants to chew on. That was basically the post that I deleted at FLO9's request. She then posted two more posts regarding the post I deleted. I thought she didn't that subject part of HER thread. So, I kept it off list and sent her an explanation of my original post and asked her why she felt she needed to continue the subject in her thread after I opted out. So, here I come back from camping and find FLO9 is still going on about this.
    I appreciate the backing from the rest of the list members and if I offend anyone with suggesting a BB gun with (1-2 pumps) as a deterrent for a problem dog, then so be it. I think it is just the thought of a "GUN". I have recommended a 12 gauge for horn worms on the list before, so I think the dog is getting off pretty easy. I didn't say anyone has to take my advice....probably better if you didn't in most cases. :)

So, with that, I am done and I would hope that FLO9 will stay with the Hot Pepper list. I will send you some free seeds as a peace offering. Seriously.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahaha, people also say to use a hose when dogs are fighting to break them up... well, maybe toy dogs, but Kuvaszok and Pyrs just keep on going, only way to break them up is to wade in and pull them apart... and... sometimes heading to the ER afterwards. That's why the hubby bought a plastic bat for me to use to break them up. Told hubby about the bb gun and he busted out laughing, as he said, they used to shoot each other with them when they were kids. My friends and I just stuck to bottle rocket and roman candle fights. ;-)

Yep Kevin, there's a bit o'crazy in that okie blood. :-P~~~
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Of course there is. How do you think OK got settled in the first place?

Sponsored