Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper 'Super chile' ?

Posted by splais az (splais1@msn.com) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 0:01

Home Depot has a beautiful pepper plant called a Pepper 'super chile'. Can anyone tell me if these are annual or perennial; and how big they will get. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper 'Super chile' ?

Hey There,

I don't know anything about this pepper. It sounds as though it is very similar to a cayenne pepper. I found some info online.

SUPER CHILI HYBRID - hot; Pequin/Piquin Type; 2 to 2.5 inches long by 0.375 to 0.5 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from pale green to orange to red; upright pods; green leaves; 12 to 18 inches tall; Early Season; Uses: Fresh Salsas, Prolific; C.annuum. Super Chili Hybrid = 20,000 - 40,000 SHU

Here is a link that might be useful: GW entry from 2005

o

I'd say they are more like Thai ornamental ot tabasco (I've seen several pod variations of it)than Cayenne.

http://www.knuppernursery.com/vegetables-gallery/images/pepper-super-chili.jpg

http://athens.locallygrown.net/files/product/image/19065/Green_Super_Chili_Hybrid.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Super Chile

o

And just to add, all chiles are perennial ;-)

Josh

o

Super Chili is one of the most reliable peppers that I grow. It produces loads of medium size 2 to 3 inch long blunt ended peppers that are excellent for hot sauce.

DarJones

o

Thanks for the help. wish they grew a little bigger; but they are a very retty plant.

One other question - does anyone know if they can take high heat. It's 100+ here for three months in a row and they will get a lot of direct sunlight in one area. thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here