Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darylltx

Chile Piquin: nice little pepper

Darylltx
11 years ago

Anyone grow this little pepper? nice spicy and good flavor. Supposedly has about 75-90,000 Shu. I let them all turn red. They grow wild here in Texas. This was one of the easiest peppers I have ever grown. And unlike some other peppers that molded on my desktop, I let these dry on my counter and they turned to powder nicely without any rotten seeds.

Comments (11)

• Peppertime
    11 years ago

I googled pics of them and they look a lot like what they sell in my area as apache peppers. I grew an apache plant last year and I had hundreds of tiny peppers on one plant. Not much use for them but I dried them and ground them to make a smokin hot chili powder.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I want to add these to the varieties I am growing, these may make the cut next season. With so many choices and limited growing space, it's hard to decide which will make the cut and which will make it the following season.

• rockguy
    11 years ago

I grow piquins because the heat is there, but goes away much quicker than most other peppers. I put them in my chile.

• scotty66
    11 years ago

I'm in Texas as well... last year I was at a local nursery and bought what I thought was a chilepequin... after posting some photos here and looking the plant up on wikipedia, I figured out what I actually had was a chiltepin.

I am very happy with this pepper... has a nice flavor with a habanero heat. I use them fresh in salsa and soups.

-

Tool this picture a week ago, the peppers are now red :)

• t-bob
    11 years ago

Thank you scotty66.....for proof of readiness to be picked

time to make a call to Texas..PLEASE PLEASE PLEease pick me a bunch and mail to me....from my friends backyard planti have a wild Texas pequin, tepin, chilitepin, chilipequin......WHICHEVER it is that i started last year and didn't allow aphids to gang rape over the winter...no pods last year, but hoping for some this year....yet to set a bloom though. I sure love the big bang that gives a jolt and then just goes away. paul, vic, karen, go pick me a bunch PlEASE PLEASE PLEASE this relocated Texan needs a hit of hot yum

• Darylltx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah both the piquin and tepin are similar. The tepin has heart shaped leaves as your pic shows. The heat for the piquin is supposedly 48-58,000, and the tepin is 75-100 thousand scoville. As someone else mentioned the heat quickly dissipates when a chile piquin is eaten, but I made a mistake of itching a not to be mentioned place, and I burned like fire for 15 minutes until I used ice cream and the milk in it to dissolve the pain. I know too much info. the point is wash your hands when handling raw peppers.

• DaMonkey007
    11 years ago

I don't think I'll be able to ~unsee~ daryll in the bathroom with his junk in a gallon of rocky road dousing himself with milk.....

It's like a fetish flick gone horribly wrong. I need a shower now...

LOL!

• hellbound
    11 years ago

i think those are chilitepin not pequin here's a pic of pequins....they're more pointed

• Troy911
    10 years ago

I live in Tx and have a plant that's two years old, got a total of 20 peppers last year, this year I'm getting 10 a day! Some turn red when they are tiny? Some grow about 1/2 inch then turn ? Curious? Want to put in a bigger pot, is now a good time. Any one who can impart some wisdom upon me would be appreciated.........

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Tx growers may have better opinions to help you more reasonably. My opinion is simple, use the right size pots, well drain medium and choose the right one if you do not have much experiences of fertilization.

This is an old thread and it is good to be continued and some growers may be able to give you some opinions to help you.

Good luck
    Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:54

• rockguy
    10 years ago

I grow at least one pequin every year. This year it's "Numex Bailey's Chili Pequin". I planted it inside during the boring part of winter. Set out in April with blooms, it has lots of green ones on it now. It should bloom til frost (Z7 TN) if the past is any indicator.

Sponsored