Tolli
Poblano
Chimayo
Aji Limon
Orange Habanero
Bulgarian Carrot Pepper
Peppadew
Cayenne

I want to have plans before they all ripen so very little goes to waste. I can make sauce, though I don't have any good recipes. Also, I can pickle some, make salsa, stuff the poblanos etc.Other than that is there anything else I could make? Throw out some recipes if you got them.

This post was edited by PunkRotten on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 0:42

Comments (14)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Don't forget to dry and make some crushed pepper, especially the hot ones.

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nothing else, like stoney said, you can always dry them. You can make powder or sauce with them any time later.

There are various sauce base/fillers. Do you like'em fruity, like pineapple, peach ? use those. Do you like tomato, carrot taste ?. I use mostly red and yellow bell pepper as filler along with pineapple.

The most common preserver used is vinegar. You can also use lemon, lime or any combination. With thing like tomato and pineapple you will need less vinegar because they are already acidic.

There are some in this forum who have good recipe's. So hang on.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Can freeze them too. It will preserve the fresh flavor for sauces later.

Jay

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

Make pepper sauce with them. Blend them with vinegar , water, garlic, onion, a little salt as a base.You can get creative by adding mustard, celery seed, horse radish, ginger, tumeric for different flavours. Bottle in a hot water bath and give to your family and friends . You can use this as a condiment or in soups, stews, casseroles, etc. There are several recipes on the net you can try. You can freeze them until you are ready to use them so don't let them go to waste.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

For the Habanero:
    2-cups habs sliced in half
    1-medium onion, thinly sliced
    2-medium carrots, thinly sliced
    6-garlic cloves, smashed
    1-tablespoon table salt
    1-teaspoon white pepper
    2-cups bitter orange juice (Goya)
    1-cup water
    Pre-heat oven to 425 and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Toss all veggies together with a little olive oil and a little Kosher salt, and spread on sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they start looking slightly burned on top.
    Let cool and put in blender jar with the bitter orange, and blend for two minutes. If it's too thick add some of the one cup of water until you get the consistency you like. Refrigerate.
    Piri-piri:
    1-cup of cayenne or other red pepper chopped
    1/2-cup olive oil
    1/2-cup fresh lemon juice
    6-garlic cloves, chopped
    1-tablespoon paprika
    1-teaspoon table salt.
    Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add a handfull of cilantro or epazote and pulse a couple of times to chop. Good on anything. Excellent marinade too.
    If you dry your peppers, you'll lose a little heat and flavor, but IMHO

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Put them on a smoker for a different flavor.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I will recommend a family favorite hot sauce, though I do warn you, it might be over the top (be very sure about removing the seeds). I found a copy on the web of the recipe that used to circulate in the REA papers years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botted Hell Recipe

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Dehydrating or freezing them whole would be the easiest way to process larger quantities.

Anything else would be personal preference, but for me pickling is the next easiest choice, for others it may be mash / sauce. But def get some of the aji limons and peppadews into a jar since they were born to be pickled :). Lately i've been using "pickle crisp" and go extremely light on the pickling spices, if i use any at all.

Steve

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

You may find some interesting recipes in DMForcier's 2012 post linked below.

Here's a copy cat recipe for pickling your Peppadews.

Peppadew Pickled Peppers

This recipe is a copy cat recipe for Peppadew Pickled Peppers. It does not match the original perfectly but it comes very close. Some people actually prefer this recipe over the original!

NOTE: This canning recipe has not been officially tested as safe for shelf storage by a food lab. For optimum safety, store in refrigerator after jars have been processed and cooled. Let them sit for one month before opening so the flavours can meld.

Syrup ingredients:

1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic acid)
    1-1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    a few pieces sliced fresh ginger
    some fresh garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)
    some bay or lemon leaves
    a little sea salt
    Additional ingredients: 2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish

Directions:

1.Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds.

2.Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 ounces kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 cups water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.

3.Before continuing, be sure your jars and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars. Snap lids should not be boiled, just placed in hot water.

4.Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive pot that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.

5.In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible.

6.Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two.

7.Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture.

8.Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like.

9.Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top.

10.Wipe the rims of the jars. Cap the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes from altitudes of 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes above 6000 feet. Leave for about 2 - 3 weeks before use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your favorite recipes here.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tom and others,

How long do these refrigerator sauces last before they are dangerous to eat? BTW, thanks for the responses thus far.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Freeze and Powder them

• seysonn
    9 years ago

For best flavor , vacuum pack fresh pods and freeze.
    The next best way, dehydrate, vacuum pack, then freeze or refrigerate.
    pickle in 100% household vinegar(5% acidity). I have some that are almost 4 years old, not refrigerated, sitting on the counter. You can convert them into sauce any time.

JMO

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Refrigerator sauces will last for months, but not around here. I'll make up a few batches with fresh pods, freeze'em, then dry the rest.
    The hab recipe will use two cups of halved/dried pods which you don't roast in the oven. Just put all the liquid in the blender and process a few times to get the peps re-hydrated before adding the other ingredients. The Piri-piri is the same way.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Don't forget gloves while you are preparing, along with good air circulation/exhaust, and once you handle the very hot peppers, be careful where you scratch yourself.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?