Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicg281

Ghost pepper Trinidad plant a not looking great.

vicg281
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my plant, I live in Houston tx, temps have been around 90s high himidity. I keep them outside in the shade.
Thanks,

Comments (14)

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Vic this is only my second year growing peppers but if I had to guess I would say you are probably overwatering. Peppers wilt every day in the heat but that does not mean they need watered everyday. Wait until the sun goes down and it cools off if they donâÂÂt perk up then you can water. I water about once a week. Just a thought but wait and see what the experts say.

• Armageddon
    9 years ago

soil looks a bit to wet and you could be adding a little to much nitrogen.... no need to keep them in the shade if they have been hardened off properly they enjoy the heat i would also put them into larger pots that small of a black pot will heat up fast in direct sun cooking the roots .looks like a lot of bark in your soil with not much Perlite for better drainage them roots need to breath ....

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Soil definitely looks too wet....
    but, also, how are you providing Calcium?

Josh

• vicg281
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@scott thanks I am going to take your advice, and go easy on the watering and fertilizer . @ Armageddon this Texas sun is brutal man and I am planning on repotting it , do you have any advice on what size container should I use? I have on Trinidad and one bhut(ghost)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

As big as you can get. Both plants will get large if they have room. But more than size pay attention to the potting mix. What are you planning to use?

Dennis

9 years ago

Again, how are you providing Calcium?
    Crinkled leaves/rolled edges are a common symptom of a plant lacking Calcium for one reason or another.

Josh

• vicg281
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@josh I used some egg shells for now, hope that helps.@dennis im ordering the 5 gallon pots from amazon, i think its too hot to put them directly in the ground. Is there any potting mix you would
    Recommend its my 1st season gardening.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I'm sure this won't be the most popular answer, but Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix has worked very well for me this year. It works for controlling both too much and too little moisture, and has enough Nitrogen to get your plants well established.

Once potted, sprinkle 1/4 cup of Tomato Tome or Jobes Organic Tomato around your larger plant. Do the same to your other plant once it gets to be about that size too. It has a higher concentration of Phosphorus which will help the plants bud and produce pods. It will also have some Calcium and Mg to help prevent blossom rot, though you may want to add some bone meal and Epsom salts once pods emerge to be sure you have enough.

Also make sure your new pots have drainage holes. If they don't, drill some on the bottom and sides down low.

Good luck!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I concur. MGMC is not the "best" mix you can use (a subject that has been known to start flame wars), but it is a good, solid, hassle-free choice, and readily available. Buy more than you ever imagine needing (i.e. the big bag).

Where are you? MGMC is distinctly different between regions. E.g. the MGMC in Georgia was dark and fluffy with a healthy dose of perlite. The version here in Texas is lighter, stringier, and almost hydrophobic, and given the option I'd mix in some perlite. But both grow good plants.

Miracle Grow also does a good general purpose fertilizer if you don't find mecdave's tomato stuff. Use one with an NPK ratio like 24-8-16 (multiple of 3-1-2).

Good luck,
    Dennis

9 years ago

Vic, eggshells will not provide Calcium.

You must provide a soluble/available form of Calcium to your plants. There are many products that will do this.

Josh

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

DMCForcierz: I'm in the Hill Country. The MG here is dark, well chopped, fluffy (w/some compacting in the bag), and very little perlite. It certainly does have a surface tension to it. Have to stir the water into it in the starter cups or the MG just floats on top.

I'm still liking the results though. ;)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

PS The reason I recommend a higher P fertilizer is the Miracle Grow MC already contains a 6 month supply of high N fertilizer. High N is great for lush plant growth, but come blossom setting and pod growth time, high P is where it's at.

9 years ago

On average (even during fruiting stages) plants use 6 times more Nitrogen than Phosphorous, so it really makes no sense to use High P fertilizers....in fact, it's a total myth, gimmick, and waste of money. While slightly backing off on Nitrogen is a decent technique for northern and short-season growers, there is no evidence that increasing P will help with or force blossom or pod production. The only time that a small increase in P will affect production is if the P was actually lacking in the mix....and that almost never happens.

Josh

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Greenman. Live and learn. ;)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction