Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

woohooman's 2013 solstice update

Well, I shared a bunch of pics on the veggy forum today, so I thought I'd update everybody on my 2013 PEPPER grow. After my late start due to cooking all my seeds during germination, Smokemaster(thanks again Mike) saved my year, sent me some seeds, and things appear(for the most part) to be heading in the right direction.

My in-ground plants(ones in front are about a month later)

Left to right

Back - Red Bell, Japones, Japones
Front - Stunted Red Bell, Chile De Arbol

Back - same 2 Japones, Chile De Arbol
Front - (middle 2) Japapeno Mammoth, Big Jim Anaheim

Back - Big Jim Anaheim, Jalapeno Jumbo? not sure, I'll show the pods, seeds were a mix
Front - Serrano

And my only in-ground chinense(Naga) with another RED BELL to the right

My container peppers

Left - Serrano Right - Big Jim Anaheim

Some Red Bells my Mom brought me -- They were in bad shape. Starting to rebound.

A 7 Pot and 2 Poblanos(these were the last to get planted, American Seed Co/Walmart 50 cent seeds :P

Thought I'd try THREE per large container

A Naga Morich and A Big Jim Anaheim

A 7 Pot and a Guajillo(Mirasol)

A Bhut Jolokia and a Serrano

By the way, the plants that are in the PLASTIC oak barrels are a heavily modified 5-1-1( compost and organic AND Synthetic ferts used. All other oak barrels are more or less organic(potting mix, much more compost, perlite, a touch of Sphagnum, and an established microherd.

Here's Greenman's modified 5-1-1 plants(modified even more by the addition of 1 part potting mix)

Guajillo

7 Pot

Bhut( not looking great and was one of the last to make it into a final pot)

Naga Morich or Bhut(can't remember)

Naga (last Naga to final pot, not looking great, but not looking bad)

Last Bhut in the pool(same "looks" as above)

The pics above that I've showed some concern about, little diagnosis help maybe. Maybe I'll just start a new thread with pics with better lighting

Finally.. the pods! However, since taking these pics yesterday, I noticed pods starting on ALL plants but the youngest 5-1-1's, those Poblanos and container Bells. So, looks like things are really starting to kick in.

Serranos

Guajillo(Mirasol)

Big Jim Anaheim

Chile De Arbol

Jalapeno Mammoth or Jumbo-- 2nd pic, they're big fat round Japs... definitely bigger than the standard "M" variety I grow, but hard to call it "jumbo."

Red Bells(waiting for bells to turn color is like waiting for a Jalapeno to turn color. But I grow them anyways. I kind of really like the COLORED Bells. No heat, but great flavor. Downfalls -- ripening time and not prolific at all.

And some early 7 Pots

Well, there ya go! Feel free to chime in, especially regarding those smaller ones in the 5-1-1 that I expressed concern. Questions, comments, suggestions, gardening slurs -- all feedback is encouraged.

Thanks All. Couldn't have done it without you and here's hoping YOUR summers bring you tons of heat.

P.S. I would, again, like to thank smokemaster(Mike) for this year's seeds and habjolokia(Mark) for sending me some last year that became part of my germination miscue. Thanks guys!

Kevin

Comments (21)

• hillseeker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW I must say those plants look impressive. They put mine to shame. Mine are still so small but all of them have blossoms which is great. My one 7 pot in a pot is almost dead. I seem to be having more issues this year than last so far. Joys of trying new ways of growing! Here is a pic of my biggest habanero in which I thought was doing well but not compared to yours!

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Yes, things are looking great for you! I'm getting jealous of those Big Jim's! Last year I smoked then dehydrated some Guajillo's and they make an awesome powder.

You sure picked strange partners for some of the potted ones, one tall plant, one short plant. haha!

As far as the unhappy ones, I don't know the exact cause, but, I'd bet it has something to do with the medium they are in. Maybe the lime didn't get distributed evenly and there is too much or not enough in that particular bit of mix or something. Sometimes I think just a really unfortunately placed sliver of sap wood or something right up against the roots can cause distress. I don't know. But, many times it seems like the cure-all is to repot into fresh mix. Kind of like rebooting windows to fix whatever the problem is with the computer acting up. :-)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very nice plants except the Bhuts, sorry Kevin I am not very diplomatic. I have 7 pod too but they look like Bhut, I am expecting their real shape. Your 7 pot are very nice.

Caelian

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fantastic progress, and really well ahead of schedule! My in-ground plants are babies by comparison. All the pods look great. Your Arbol is the same type that I've grown in the past and have enjoyed immensely...medium-hot, smoky, and flavorful.

For the struggling plants, I'm not sure the cause. I know that my own plants had a difficult start due to my under-feeding. Now that I've supplemented with Epsom Salt, and have increased fertilization overall, the plants are responding as I'd hoped.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hillseeker: Thanks. Happy for the most part(the strugglers have me miffed a tad). That plant looks healthy though -- looks like it's ready to take off.

tsheets: Thanks. Yeah.. Picked a few last night and threw them in some spaghetti sauce for a change-up-- pretty good stuff. Agreed about the Guajillos -- anybody that like Mexican food and aren't using these in their arsenal are not having GOOD Mexican food. I just dry them though -- toast them up and then reconstitute in boiling water, blender , and add the pepper slurry to a multitude of dishes.

In regards to the "partnerships." There's a method to my madness --the annuum grows taller and slimmer while the chinense grows bushy...this way there's a bit more room for the chinense to sprawl.

Regarding the strugglers --- I don't know either. I was hoping you guys could help. I don't think it's the mix(composted the bark, mixed and wet it and let "acclimate" for a good 2 weeks before potting. However, I do think it's a nutrient issue, which means it just may be the mix. I was hoping not to have to repot - they're pretty well established now.

caelian: Thanks and no problem on the honesty. Now tell me how to get my Bhuts as pretty as yours! :P

Josh: Thanks for the props -- mean a lot. Btw, your plants are looking much better themselves. Did yours exhibit the same discoloring and overall haggardness? Did you use the GreenAll MicroBark this year? How much epsom and what frequency? Same question regarding the FERTS.

Thanks All.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Bhuts! we are in the same boat :-) My bhuts are not so good.

I like some Bhut red most of my Bhuts are orange and yellow. They are not very big. The biggest one is about 45cm tall and started podding. Still I consider they are not doing very well and I am looking for my mistakes of growing it.

Caelian

10 years ago

Kevin, I did use Greenall and "Orchid Bark" (from the same supplier).

With the Epsom Salts, I used 1/2 teaspoon per gallon on the first treatment, and 1/4 teaspoon per gallon on the second treatment, about two weeks apart. I gave each plant a liter of the solution.

I've been fertilizing 1 teaspoon Foliage Pro, once a week, a liter of solution on each container. For the past two weeks, however, I've increased the dose to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

Josh

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Kevin,

How much sun are they getting daily? Reason I ask is that here in Central Louisiana the past 3-4 weeks have been in the low-mid 90's with 90% + humidity and mine looked good, but as soon as I reduced the sunlight by 30% WOW they have taken off like I never would have expected.

I also believe the sun light to be true as my back yard faces East and my front yard faces west. All my backyard East facing plants are triple the size of my West facing plants. Same type mediums, water, fert regiments. Only difference is the amount of daily sun.

Also, it looks like you have a lot of sap wood in some of the pictures.

Bill

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill: No more sun than the other container plants. It's just a few of the 5-1-1 container plants that seem that way. If you notice, the ones in the oak barrels are doing pretty good-- different medium entirely. Dunno...maybe the ones in the smaller containers are just getting too warm. Maybe I'll get out there with a thermometer tomorrow and check. I might be able to relocate them to only get sun until about 3pm or on the patio where it would be all day PARTIAL sun.

Regarding the sapwood -- that's just some MULCH that I had left over from last year that ended up not being usable for soil mix. It's not incorporated in any way. You are the first to pick up on that though.

Thanks.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

A very modest early picking. Enough to make a bowl of salsa fresca though.

Kevin

10 years ago

Yessir! A little white onion, cilantro, lime juice....

Josh

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

That's a nice harvest! Whatever you're doing, the plants seems to be responding to it, so keep doing it!

Tim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh: you got it. Not my elaborate fire roasted salsa, but salsa fresca works in a pinch. Ohh.. by the way, about chiles de arboles -- one of my all-time favorites. Pretty much worthless when green, but very versatile when ripened and dried. And super prolific.

Thanks Tim. Happy for the most part so far this season, but I'm still trying to get my superhots to look as good as yours and others.

Kevin

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I'd be having me some green-chili cheese-burgers to go with that salsa! :-)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great looking plants! I could not imagine filling those 1/2 wiskey barrels with any potting mix, maybe just one but no more. I do like the way those in ground peppers are growing. Nice early harvest and great choice of use Salsa! Makes me want to venture off and grow tomato's and onions :)

I have lots of flowers on my super hot/hot, a few pods set but the current heat and this weeks outlook, my plants will be dropping more flowers.

Mark

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Beautifiul - I am sooo envious. Reading about some people drying them now has me on another mission- to find out how to do that too. Always learning new things.
    Enjoy your harvest!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tsheets: those will be a coming!

Mark: Thanks! I aspire to grow mine to look as good as yours. Yeah.. the 1st time I filled my 1st 2 barrels, I made a decision right there to buy potting mix, compost and perlite in bulk. Quite reasonable when I started doing that.

Lori: Many just get a cheap dehydrator. I air dry all mine but I don't have nearly the humidity issues many others do. You gotta get into drying. Totally changes the flavor profile when ripened to final colors and dried.

Thanks again all.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some 4th of July eats!

Toms, Serranos, Jalapenos, and Big Jims.

{{gwi:75669}}

Have a great 4th Everybody!

Kevin

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Awesome. I hope to reach that stage of harvest by September.

• soraystud
    10 years ago

Those look fantastic, have a great holiday!

10 years ago

Happy Fourth!
    Great harvest...enjoy!

Josh

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!