Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039395

germination

User
9 years ago

I planted 11 Carolina Reaper seeds last Sunday does anyone know how many days till they sprout?

Randal

Comments (10)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Depending on conditions it could take 5-14 days maybe longer. How are you germinating and are you using a heat source? Depending on your zone it maybe too late to start. You may have to overwinter if that's the case.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

On a heating mat, mine popped in about a week. Sometimes it can take much longer though.

Jay

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

I bought my original seeds from the original source in SC. Some took as long as a month to come up and I got about 25% germination. Using my own fresh seeds from my very best plant, those started coming up in 3 days and I got 80+% germination. Also, pods on this next generation are more consistent to be what they are supposed to look like instead of being a whole hodgepodge of pod forms.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one of the trays with a lid I used peat pellets and I have it on my back porch that is enclosed. I don't have ac out there it's warm day and night now that its summer I live in eastern Washington. I also bought the seeds from the source because I didn't know where else to get them.
    Thanks
    Randal

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

That dome will cook the seeds if left out in the sun. Temp (of the soil) should be in the mid 80's for best results. And a dome in the sun can easily shoot into triple digits.

Also, as soon as they sprout, they need to immediately go under lights or in the sun(at this time of year).

One more thing... as soon as they develop their 1st set of true leaves, get them out of those pellets and into a good potting MIX.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 11:50

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Good advice above. Use the dome only if you are using artificial or indirect sun. In fact, you dont even need any light until after they sprout. Once they sprout, you ditch the dome anyway. Then they need light. And get them out of the peat pellets after they get a set of true leaves as Kevin suggests. Plant them in small 3-4" starter containers or even plastic SOLO drink cups are fine if you poke holes in the bottoms.
    Bruce

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have set the tray outside a few times already........I didn't think about the sun frying them. I have another packet of seeds maybe I should plan for the worst and plant them and NOT set them outside.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Since it's so late in the season and you'll probably be overwintering if they do sprout, save the seeds and wait until these current ones sprout or not. If the seeds were fresh, you'll know within a couple weeks from starting.

Kevin

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I just have to wait and see.
    Randal

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, or go ahead and grow them out now. Then, consider overwintering one or two for something to do over the winter. If you are out of Reaper seeds, I will send you some. Just PM me.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services