Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name this pepper

Posted by phucvu 10 b oc ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 2:13

pepper

viet people call this chi thien because the peppers point towards the sky, but i want to know the english name.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name this pepper

Comes with a lot of different names.
Goat weed , Vietnamese Black Dragon , Black Cobra , Chile Negro de Arbol , Black Chile Grande and a few more.
Some versions or strains are from Vietname,Mexico and Venezuala.
Some have Pendant pods,others start out with upright pods that turn pendant and others have upturned pods.
Some plants/strains are fuzzier than other and have bigger or smaller pods.
All are very prolific and crank out the pods.
Some plants are bushy and some are tree like.
I have all of the above outside now.

o

That's a very attractive chile, and once again I learn a lot from Smokemaster -- thanks!

phucvu, how is this chile used in Vietnamese cooking, and what does it taste like (heat level, etc.)? If you harvest and save seeds, I'd appreciate getting some to grow next year. I have several varieties I can trade for them.

Tom

o

What would we do without ya Mike. Those peppers look narly.

o

• Posted by phucvu 10 b oc ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 13:55

there's no special way to eat it and if it's as hot as my uncle peppers 3 or 4 years ago, you wouldn't want to use it as seasoning, but something on the side for people who can stand really hot chile. it was so hot that i stopped eating chiles for awhile because every time i tried i would get the hiccups from the first bite. but lately none of them has matched the intensity of my uncle's pepper.

just send me an email and i'll try to send the seed to you when they ripen up and i still remember by then.

o

No E mail Kentishman...Trade list...
E mail me,I have several of the different strains of seeds/fresh and dry pods too.
Black Cobra,V.Black Dragon,Chile Negro De Arbol,Goats Weed,Black Chile Grande and a couple more.
Some are Fuzzier than others,bigger or smaller pods ,upturnd pods,pendant or start out upturned then drop down to horizontal or pendant.Some are tree like,others bush like.
All are thin shinned and pretty hot,maybe 5-7 out of 10 heat wise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here