Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryanarock

Grow lights?and dieing sprouts

bryanarock
10 years ago

im looking into getting some sort of light for indoors to help my peppers grow the cheaper the better i have a 2 year old and a fixed income so cheap is a big thing these days lol. so a good handful of my sprouts fell over and died mainly some standard habaneros my guessing i over watered them? my sprouts have been growing leggy very quickly as well. i got a seed starting plant mix that has sphagnum, perlite and lime in it until i can do my own 5-1-1 ratio. a few of my sprouts had a tinge of yellowing at the tips is it just over watering or am i doing something else wrong? also its been 90-110 our here if that helps. im so disappointed i finally came across a chocolate habanero seed and it died i fear ill never get a chance to have my own.i love this forum so informative hopefully you guys can tell me what im doing wrong so i can get my peppers happy and healthy

Comments (4)

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Hi, Bryana.

All the veterans in here are going to ask you for more specifics like:
    when did you first plant the seeds?
    are they on a window sill now or what kind of light are they getting?
    how much and how often are you watering?

If you want to add some specifics, the doctors in here should be able to assist you further. :)

Happy Friday, everyone!

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Hi its Doctor Pepperguy222,

Ive had this question this time around alst year and was helped, I know have beautiful plants because of the advice I was given.

The price is always on everyones, I dont blame you. In my opinion and others should agree, the best light for indoor plants at a cheap price would have to be CFL Lightbulbs. Theyre natural light and worked wonders on my plants.

Here is a link with different prices from home depot.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=CFL&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

Now im not sure where you live but again, cheap is best and I go to K-Mart or Walmart for the rest of my setup. I use simple desk lamps, I bought 3. The cheapest will be the best, anything expensive is just simply going for looks which you dont need.

Any other questions? Just let us know.

Steve

• sjetski
    10 years ago

If seedlings just "fell over and died" then it was probably Damping off disease. It starts with sopping wet potting mix causing an infection at the base of the stem. The stem weakens from the infection and the seedlings topple over. Might be time to pot the rest up into a new home with new potting mix. Or if you keep your current potting mix, then keep the top layer of soil as dry as you can, bottom water whenever possible (your soil was probably too wet).

Cheap lights? Home Depot shoplights are one solution, and any matching Fluorescent bulb that's "cool white" which will have a fuller spectrum. Altogether it'll run you around $16-$17. I think Lowes has shoplights too but theirs may be a few dollars more.

Technically you should be getting your plants outside pretty soon. Introduce them to direct sun very slowly. 30 minutes the first time, then move to shade. 1 hour the second time, then move to shade. Then for 2 hours, 3 hours etc. It can be a pain but it's necessary, otherwise the plants will burn up.

Edit: did not see Pepperguy's post before i clicked "reply".

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Shop Light

This post was edited by sjetski on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 10:18

• bryanarock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help i had a feeling it was damping off ive been watering them better now i water from the bottom and dont let the surface get wet at all pretty much.my peppers are in clear plastic cups one cup with holes and one without on the outside of it works good for me so i can see if it has water or not my plants are solely indoors at the moment. we have thieves in my neighborhood and until i get a fence around my patio i dont feel safe putting them outside. there on a computer desk in my room that gets partial and full sun depending on time of day and how far i open my curtain. my husband picked up a grow light at walmart for like $10 yesterday i set it up so ill see if it works. ill try and get some pictures today to show how i have things set up and you guys can tell me if it looks like i can be doing anything better. again thanks all of you for all your help i really could use it.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County