Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Identification

Posted by SgtPepper none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 6:34

Unexpected pepper plant variety in amongst my new plants.

I was expecting Scotch Bonnet or a similar habenero, but this flower doesn't match up with any of the Bonnet family. I have tried the John Fiedler site which has lots of pics, but I am still having trouble identifying this species.

Anyone know what this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Identification

All haba�eros are cap chinense
Not all cap chinense are haba�eros

plant looks like a chinense

o

Yes you are right. I am pretty certain it is a C. Chinense. But it's the variety of the species that leaves me puzzled.

o

Strange pedals look like a c. Chinese but anthers look like c. Frutescens wonder if its a Frutescens with an additional pedal? Do you have any more flowers to see if the rest have 4 pedals or do they all have 5?

o

never seen a chinese veriaty with a purple flower

o

Looks just like the flowers on my Tabasco.

o

With crosses, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but, there is a table in the FAQ.

I don't think you can tell much more than species based on flower alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

o

It is very possible that this is an Aji Dulce plant, member of the C. Chinense family. However, it could be something else, but that seems the closest I have found so far. I used a flash camera, so the anthers seem brighter than in natural light.

I used this website to analyze:

John Fiedler

There is another flower and it is identical - 5 petals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here