Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

Mutant ghost ?

scott123456
9 years ago

So on this plant all the pods are shaped a certain way( long, pointy, ect) except for one. It is roundish. Is this common? Do I have mutant ghost?

Comments (11)

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zoomed in

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

You won't see a single "mutant" pod due to crossing. Genetics don't work that way - it is the whole plant or nothing.

It is entirely possible that some pods on a plant are oddly shaped. I.e. normal.

Dennis

P.S. Nasty looking pods!

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dennis. I am aware that if it were due to a cross it would be the entire plant. However, a mutation is a a error in DNA replication or damage to the DNA/RNA structure that codes for a protein. I know in humans it can either be inherited ( entire plant ) or occur during the person's life time ( Not sure if this could happen to one pod or only the entire plant). Also, if inherited it is not necessarily expressed in the phenotype. From what I understand all pods have the same genotype but not phenotype. Meaning the mutation would be visible in some pods but not necessarily others.

Probably just a goofy looking pod (round ghost) but I was just curious.

Thanks,
    Scott

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

It is also possible it was just stunted due to colder temperatures. I have several plants that I put out when the temps warmed up. They were out for a couple weeks, then we had a cold snap. It was colder than normal for two consecutive nights. The pods that were already formed seem to suffer stunted growth. This is actually a normal response. I have several pods smaller than average that have ripened. The pods formed after the cold snap are growing to their normal sizes.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Just an aberration. It could be as simple as a pod that was damaged in some when when small. Call it a deformity or whatever but it is still a Ghost Pepper and I would be surprised if it tasted any differently than the others.
    Nice looking plant.
    Bruce

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tim I think your onto something! According to this source a mutation (sport, break, chimera) can be caused by cold weather as well as other things. It says most plant return to their normal growth. Others plants are permanently injured and can even become stable strains. I know this source isn't about peppers or even fruiting plants. It is interesting though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mutations

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bruce!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Tim nailed it, I think.. Early fruits can have abnormal shapes , for the reason plant being stunted. I have had early almost round HHW and some other.

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn, did you notice anything different from the seeds you saved from the abnormal pods?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Seysonn is right. I have a Carolina Reaper that isn't showing perfect pods right now. I remember the plant I grew last year did the same thing. I thought I had some bad seed but the later pods looked much better. Here is the plant a couple days ago. The seed for this plant is from the same source as last year.
    Bruce

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It heard us talking about it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio