Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Bugs on Ghost Pepper Plants

Posted by mustardplaster Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 8:43

Help! Little white bugs are destroying my Ghost Pepper Plants. Insecticidal soap isn't working. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Bugs on Ghost Pepper Plants

Perhaps they're cast skins of aphids?

Any chance of pictures?

o

Could be mealybugs. More info would be helpful.

o

if in doubt 7 dust

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:53

hahahaha, Romy, you kill me. Every bug problem is job for 7 dust. I bet your garden has a white glaze on it from dusting it every other day. I might have to get me some of that. My shotgun shells are getting expensive.

o

7 dust works!

o

I have white bugs also. To be specific - They are extremely white and build a protective white membrane around themselves. Sometimes you'll find a few living together and they shoot like rockets when you go to squish em.

Fortunately, because they are so white and can only shoot forward, I almost always am able to locate and finish the squishing.

I generally check under as many leaves as I can in the morning and evening and have been taking out about 5 to 10 a day. They also sometimes congregate on a stalk, or even on a flower stem.

They seem to grow quickly (thanks to our plants) and develop into flying plant-eating bugs as far as I can tell. (I've missed a few until they had grown enough to almost fly, but still hadn't reached full maturity)

I called the adults leaf bugs when I was a kid but can't find a picture of an adult that matches. I'll keep looking.

o

maybe whiteflies? do thay make a white cotton looking stuff? do they look like tiny white moths?

o

Just looked at photos of Whiteflies. No match for me. I'll try to get a picture to put up. Maybe someone can help both of us. Or at least help us get it narrowed down.

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 19:14

Geez, I hope you guys live a long ways from me. I haven't had many problems with bugs. Seen a couple of those small shiny green beetles lately though. They can munch leaves in a hurry. But so far, they can be handled by hand to hand combat.

o

Please post an image or two. The suspense is getting to me!

o

Mealy Bugs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealy Bugs

o
Bug I.D.

Try the bug files.

Send them a good pic and they'll tell you what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug files

o

I had a white bug on a chocolate hab plant the other day. Only saw one, so, didn't panic.

It reminded me of an aphid, but, really big, stark white and build like a nest of white stuff it was in the middle of. When I was trying to determine if it was a live bug or spider's egg sac, it moved to the other side of the stem. I tried to squish it, but, it shot away and I never found it again.

Weirdest thing...never seen one before.

How worried should I be?

o

Okay, if this works it'll be a photo of the white bug as a kid and then green as a (I believe) teenager.

Wish me luck, I think I'm doing this the hard way.

o

Here you go. You need to wrap them into an img tag. :)

o

Whiteflies

http://bugguide.net/node/view/537359#947474

Here is a link that might be useful: white flies

o

Thanks Kosher. It was first attempt at even uploading with new camera. To be honest, first camera I've had since my old Kodak Instamatic. Heh.

o

Essox. Yeah before i new about the clear liquid 7 dust my garden did look like a scene from Scarface! White powder everywhere! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here