Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdy113

Peppers not growing!

mdy113
10 years ago

i am about 4 weeks after planting the seedlings. the first 2.5 weeks were awesome, but after the ton rain a week ago i got no more growth! i have bell and jumbo jalapeno's and they seemed to have stopped growing literally. Will they bounce back? or has the to much watering pretty much ruined them? the hot pepper also seems to have yellowing leaves that have not regain its darker green it had the first few weeks.

Comments (6)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

If I were you I would check the soil to find out soil related problems. Sometimes nature fix the problems but it takes time. Whenever I had troublesome plants always I checked the soil and re-potted.

Just wait other members may be able to help you better.

Good luck.

Caelian

• mdy113
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i tested th ph, soil isabout neutral to slightly acidic. im afraid to much water ruined the roots but i dont know. tempted to replace with new plants while i have time. A side note i have a grape tomato plant which more than doubled in size and also is starting to set fruit (also 4 weeks in) so i guess it handled the wet weather a lot better. since the peppers arent huge yet, im wondering if replacing and replanting is the better option right now rather then waiting. im new to all this, so im really just gueessing.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

How's the forecast look? Peppers are very resilient -- if they look alive, they'll probably bounce back. If you've mulched, you may want to pull it back some to allow the soil to dry out some. Might even try laying some newspaper down around the root zone to "wick" up some of the excess moisture and then toss it when it's saturated..

Good luck.

Kevin

• mdy113
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forcast looks warm and dry. they have looked alive even through the big rains we had here in DC area. Havent mulched just been using liquid vegtable plant food every 7-10 days as reccomended. Might try the newspaper idea. Concern was a bounce back in time for a decent summer growth and fruit development. Since its pretty warm here through end of september was the reason i thought of putting a new plant in. (last year i started around this time and had no issues growing cayenne's towards summer's end).
    ill see how they react though in next few days to the sunny warm dry weather.

thanks for input
    Mike

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hi Mike.

You know the old saying about a picture........

Having said that, I'd say let them live - they'll be fine. The weather around here the last 2 or 3 weeks (cool/wet) is great for tomatoes but peppers hate it. It's supposed to be 85-90 next week - let the peppers dry out and enjoy their kinda weather.

Also, I'd stop the ferts. Pepper's don't need to be fed constantly - usually two, maybe three times a year is plenty. But that's just me.

Best of luck to ya.

Rick

• alynne68
    10 years ago

I'm not far from you in upper NW DC. Have seen huge growth in the last few days with the warm dry weather. Have faith.

Alison

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County