Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

Progress?

kclost
9 years ago

Plants getting bigger and looking good. Had a breif heavy rain yesterday and noticed quite a bit of blossom drop. Might be normal, any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Yep. Normal. Too much moisture will definitely cause blossom drop, but there are many things that cause it.

Too much heat is also a cause which leads me to a suggestion for down the road when your midwest summers really kick in. --- MULCH and shade cloth. Regulating the soil temp will definitely get your plants through the tough times ahead.

Kevin

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have had quite a bit of heat this week as well.... Thanks for the suggestions....

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Totally normal, and yes they look great!

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

99 times out of 100, blossom drop is not only normal, but common and temporary. I think it happens one or two times every year to at least some of my plants. I have come to believe that it simply a matter of conditions not being quite right for the plant to set fruit at that point and I have also come to believe there is little I can do about it other than ensure my watering regime is correct. I think it has to do with heat, sunlight, and things controlled by Mother Nature more than anything else. I don't really see a correlation to fertilizers and nutrients which is what a lot of people try to alter when they experience blossom drop. Which I think can make things even worse.
    I have never seen a pepper plant go into blossom drop mode and not snap out of it with in a week or two.
    My advice for blossom drop is to make sure the soil moisture levels are correct and then just wait it out. When the plant feels it is ready to set fruit, it will.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

IMO, let God and Mother Nature handle this one.
    Bruce

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome advice....

What kind of mulch do you think would work best, also help with next years soil condition...

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I use the brown wood chip mulch and I stay away from the rubber stuff.
    Looking good!

Stoney

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Anything organic based, even compost an inch or 2 thick. Stay away from FRESH wood chips though-- it tends to rob the soil of nitrogen Bark and pine straw are 2 popular choices. If you go with bark and want to till into the soil in the fall, try to go with something smallish since it takes such a long time to break down.

Also, I only recommend the COMPOST to be so thin. Other forms can go 3-4 inches thick. I tend to mulch in stages -- an inch or 2 to start, and then after a couple months of breakdown, another inch or 2.

Kevin

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice close up shot of a T.M.S. pod this evening. Hot, humid day in K.C. but love this time of year.

Sponsored