Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steven1032

stopping flower drop

steven1032
11 years ago

i know the heat causes flower drop. question is, is there anything i can do to stop it to get some peppers. especially with chocolate habaneros. i have heard these peppers are good. i have yet to even try one since planting and am excited about trying one. it is mid 90s here. i have a shade cloth over some of my other peppers. they are prolific. i am wondering if that will help.

nay suggestions

Comments (8)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Shade cloth should help. If your peppers are in containers, just move them to a shaded area. Otherwise, you will just have to wait it out. When the plants are ready, they will likely start blooming and setting fruit fast at that point.
    Bruce

• steven1032
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what about chocolate habaneros. how fast do they grow? have you ever tried growing them? this is my first year. im growing ghost peppers and they are growing prolifically. i did use shade cloth over my habs and they did produce abundunce of them. just got to find a way to move the structure.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Chocolate habs are not much different than regular habs or ghosts. Maybe not quite as prolific, but, still a decent amount of pods. Growth rate is similar to the others as well.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Just be patient.
    The plants won't set fruit until they're good and ready.
    This is my third year growing the Chocolate Hab and they are slow like the other hots/superhots.
    But what a unique flavor and aroma. Not only are they the hottest Habañeros that I've had,
    but I think they taste better than the orange and red Habs.

Last year, my first pod set toward the end of July. I picked the first pod September 17.
    The year before, I harvested around the first week of September. That was in-ground, though,
    and this year I'm using containers to try for an earlier harvest. I'm in the foothills in
    northern California, so that should give you a comparison.

Josh

• steven1032
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whats the temp running in north cal. here in july we are climbing into the 100 and by aug we are at 105 to 107. will not slow down until sept and our first frost date is nov 1. will i have time to get ripe choc habs and still overwinter the plant?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

We're at 90ðF today...yesterday 96ðF....before that, a string of 90ðF - 100ðF.
    It's quite hot now, so I just try to shade my peppers and push the vegetative growth.

Yes, you'll get ripe Habs.

Josh

• willardb3
    11 years ago

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
    2. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
  • kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Jim Duffy (Refining Fire Chiles) has in a flyer he sends with plants, once they start to flower use bloom booster to help avoid blossom drop. Last year all of mine were in full sun and we had pretty much 99+ temps for 3+ months- started in May (several 105+), I was buried in fruit. Tomatoes did crappy until it cooled off.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years