Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

5 gallon buckets as pots

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

so now that we've figured out that we will indeed have space for my babies in the new place, I've begun repotting them.

I went to 3 different nurseries, all told me that they'd give me as many 2-3 gallon pots as I want, for free. but they can't give away their 5 or 7 gallon pots at all. not even if I paid them. my father in law tells me there's one that will sell them to him, for 8 bucks each.

at lowes, their cheapest 5 gallon pot is 10 bucks. but their 5 gallon buckets are $2.50 each! so I bought some of those, drilled 5 3/4" holes on the sides and 4 on the bottom, and used those.

the wife hates it because they look tacky, but form follows function. plus now she has an excuse to look up a new project on pinterest: decorating buckets. personally I think they look kinda cool, but I'm an engineer, not an architect.

before I did all of them and risked screwing something up, I repotted 3 of them as a test. I transplanted a 7pot, one of the ghosts, the habanero (left to right in the picture). and I did not wash the roots because they have pods on them and I wanted to minimize the shock. I just pulled them out of their original pots as gently as I could and dropped them in the buckets and filled in dirt around them.

I was amazed at how long it took to water them in. literally like 4 gallons each. but then again each bucket took almost a full bag of dirt to fill in, and that's a lot of dirt to get wet and get air pockets out of.

gonna do the rest this weekend if nothing scary happens to those between now and then.

now, the questions: does anyone have experience using buckets? is there anything I need to look out for when I do the rest? should I have used rocks on the bottom to aid in drainage? are 3/4" holes big enough?

Comments (13)

• John A
    10 years ago

Judo - You should have taken the person up on the 2 - 3 gal pots. The peppers don't need as much room as tomatoes. I have mine in 1 to 3 gal pots and they do just fine.
    John A

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

What's up JP. I use only 5 gallon buckets for superhots. I have 19 of those suckers all over my patio, and a dozen more scattered throughout the yard. My wife says the same thing about the tackiness. I've heard tips about scouring the alleys behind restaurants, delis, bakeries, etc. where empty 5 gals are discarded. The ones I got were scavenged from an ice cream shop.

I had an issue using "inferior" potting soil in 5 gals, it wouldnâÂÂt drain properly leaving the soil soaked and the plants yellow. (I actually used "gardening soil" instead of potting soil one year - dumb). Using proper potting soil, with a decent amount of perlite it's not an issue. I drilled 10-12 half inch holes in the bottom, that seems to be sufficient, IMO, no need for rocks.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I hear 3 gal is fine but if you have a long growing season like you and I, I feel that 8-10 gallon is better. I used 5 gal last year for some and they were all root bound by the end of the season.

Just make sure you have plenty of holes drilled. I use a 3/8" bit and pepper the bottom with holes -- no rocks needed.

Also, mctiggs is right about the medium. But I would get potting MIX, not SOIL. The MIXES tend to have more bark, less peat... better drainage. An ORCHID Mix is also good stuff. I would also supplement the mix with about 25% coarse perlite. Available at Home Depot in 2 c.f. bags for about $17... I get mine 5cf/$15 at a local mom and pop nursery.

My Lowe's has a "recycle" container rack -- free for the taking. Sometimes I can go in and get 10-15 gal tree containers.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

based on everything I've read on here and elsewhere, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with your statement about peppers not needing big pots. their roots like to grow deep. the 7pot was over 2ft tall, the other two at least 1.5ft.

and the thing is, they were already in 3 gallon pots. I wanted them to move up. the plants are pretty big, and when I pulled them out of the old pots, there was a lot of root bunched up at the bottom. I wouldn't call it root bound, but they were on their way to being root bound.

with that said, I still graciously accepted the free 3 gallon pots. you can never have too many. especially since I plan to expand my collection next year.

the question is: are 5 gallon buckets big enough? or will I have to move them up again if I successfully overwinter them?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I potted them using a mix of 'Just Natural' brand potting soil and mushroom compost (roughly 4:1 ratio), with a fair helping of bone meal mixed in. the potting soil has a lot of bark in it, and in my experience seems to be very well draining.

I know I probably should use perlite as well, but that stuff is kinda expensive, so if I don't absolutely need it, it's an expense I can cut out. the wife is already complaining about how much I'm paying for the pots and soil. we are moving in 2 weeks and I'm giving up my well paying office job to probably work in the service industry while I'm in school, so every bit I can save is a plus.

in this Florida heat (it's 90 degrees outside right now, and feels "nice" compared to the past few days of 95+) I think a bit of water retention is a good thing, my plants are under a tree and I still have to water at least every other day as it is, and the leaves are usually already really droopy by day 2 if it doesn't rain. but I've heard that hotter environments produce hotter peppers, so maybe it's a good thing.

thanks guys for all the advice. I don't say that enough.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

When I overwinter, I trim them top and bottom, and put them in 1gal pots at largest.

There is much debate on pot size. For most folks, 3gal is about the smallest size they use. Though there are some here that use smaller. Others stick to the 5ish gal range, and some go larger.

Kevin mentioned the length of growing season, to there's that. Also, some plants are larger than others so that could come into play as well.

Bottom line, I think you could get by with 3gal, but, it sounds like 5gal would be better for you. The larger volume would help keep the roots cooler and hold water a bit better.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Most of my container plants are in 3 Gal cat litter buckets (Cats are good for something..) I am having no issues at all with the 3 or 5 Gal containers. Drill holes and away you go.

Bill

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's a question: some of my plants damn near folded in half at the base with the recent winds we had down here. I've got them staked back up now, but how long should I wait to repot them after something like that?

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

If the buckets are the final home for the plants (3-5 Gal) I would just stake and leave alone. I have stakes or Tomato cages on all my containers because of the high winds here.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Those buckets should work fine. I put mine in 5 gal Menards buckets this year. Like Lowe's, I got them for $2.50 each. I got the Menards ones because my wife didn't want orange Home Depot ones lining our deck. Here is a photo of some of mine from 10 days ago. I drilled holes all along the outside of the bottoms.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Here is a close up showing the holes that I drilled in some of them.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nice setup esox. did you attempt to write what kind of pepper it is on the buckets? my wife is warming up to the idea of big blue buckets in the back yard. the way I see it, it adds color.

what I mean is the ones that had bent really bad are some of the ones I haven't repotted yet. I intend to repot them soon. should I just go ahead as planned and re-stake them when I finish?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, I wrote the names of the peppers on the buckets when I potted them up in mid may. The sun bleaches it off. So much for "Permanent" markers. I did it last year with Duct tape and the same thing happened. I guess I could keep redoing it but I guess I just gave up. I suppose there is something I could use that wouldn't fade but it just isnt a priority, I guess. I did it more for pictures than myself as each plant has a little plant marker inside to keep them straight. Here is a photo back in mid May.

Sponsored