Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andythehotpepperguy

Hundreds of blooms, but no peppers!

Hey all,

I overwintered a Caribbean Red Habanero plant this past winter and brought it back out in mid-May. I fought aphids all winter and the plant lost nearly all of it's leaves when I hardened it off. I was ready to chalk it up a s a loss. Eventually the aphids were gone and the plant started new growth. I pruned it aggressively, down to one main stem and one small stem. The plant had some pretty good gains in leaves and small stem growth, but nothing crazy. I was reading a thread on Hydrogen Peroxide and thought I would give it a shot.

After about three weeks of getting a little H2O2 here and there, I now have a very healthy looking Habanero bush. The leaves are dark green, thick, and waxy. Here is my question.

The plant has hundreds and hundreds of blooms, but it seems no peppers are coming in behind them. I'm not sure if they are falling off or just not doing anything. My younger plants are producing tiny little peppers now, even one of my Naga Jolokia plants have little peppers on.

Any tips on getting peppers to come in?

Comments (10)

• earthworm73
    13 years ago

I am new to growing chiles myself so I can't help you with your question but could you tell me more about using hydrogen peroxide. I have an ailing chile that needs nursing.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Give it time, it'll set fruit.

Josh

• andythehotpepperguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm new at H2O2, myself. From someone else's advice here, I've been giving my potted chilies about a half cup of standard 3% H2O2 every 2-3 days. I have been pouring it in into the soil around the bottom of the plant. I water them too, but I don't mix it. I have seen a significant difference in the leaves of some of the plants and no difference in others. I'm positive that it helped my stressed Hab plant, though.

• napalmxv3
    13 years ago

I overwintered an jalapeno and removed, in steps, all the leaves down to nothing but a single stem. I'd stop on the H2O2 as it's flowering and you will most likely get some fruit started very soon. I don't know much about H2O2'ing the plants but it may be contributing.

My jalapeno took a little bit to start setting fruit but when it did, boy did it go nuts. Last count was 30-40 peppers.

• andythehotpepperguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I think I've got it. I've kept up the H2O2, but what I realized is that my Hab plant wasn't getting as much sun as the other plants. I moved the plant to where it would get as much sun as others. It's been about two days and I've already got blooms turning into little peppers. Whether or not that was it, I don't know, but I'm getting peppers!

• rdback
    13 years ago

"I've been giving my potted chilies about a half cup of standard 3% H2O2 every 2-3 days. I have been pouring it in into the soil around the bottom of the plant. I water them too, but I don't mix it."

Hi Andy,

If I read this correctly, you're adding 1/2C undiluted to each plant. That seems pretty high to me. Too much H2O2 can actually kill your plant. From what I've read, most folks dilute it and use every few weeks. Also, keep in mind H2O2 is anti-bacterial. It will destroy the good, as well as the bad, bacteria in your soil.

Just an fyi - ymmv.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: H2O2 mixing chart

• willardb3
    13 years ago

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
    2. Too much grower attention.
  • richardk_ny
    13 years ago

Inspect the inside of the bloomed flowers, if the flower pistil (stick part that collects pollen) isn't visible from the outside (it's recessed too far or missing) your plants need more direct sunlight (7+ hours direct sun a day). Note: It doesn't have to be sticking out, it should be at least level with the tips of the stamen, or farther out.

Then look in the bloomed flowers that have been open for more than a day, if the stamen (part that has the pollen) isn't producing much or any pollen, the temperatures are at fault (Either too hot at night (> 78F) or too cold day or night If none of those appear to be the problem, and the flowers are yellowing/pinkish when they fall off the problem might be nutrient related (lack of or blocking of P, K or Mag), if they fall off when greenish, it might be an indication of infrequent watering/wilting or too much N (which is pretty hard to do actually).

Sometimes it just takes time, if the flowers developed under too much heat/stress they might be sterile and you must wait for the next batch to develop and bloom.

Once the plants are ready to set fruit, just make sure they get wind/insects or hand pollination or they won't set for crap!

Hope that helps :)

• Aks8383_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I had similar problem with my Jalapeno peppers I was growing using deep water culture. There was a lot of flowering but they used to fall along with the stem. I removed the plant from DWC and started feeding nutrients using a spray bottle on a daily basis. Finally, I had my first jalapeno pepper only a couple of weeks later. The flowers still dry up before turning into peppers but they no longer fall from the stem. So, I believe overwatering was the underlying problem.