Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gro2can

question

gro2can
9 years ago

what has to be done to overwinter pepper plants in the house. do they have to be trimmed. i have a bell and hungarian wax growing that i would like to keep alive but i dont have any lights or heating mat. can it be done without in our cold climate. also i have acquired some jalapeno seeds and tried to germinate not one has germinated. put in soil about end first week in june. kept them on a hot water bottle for a while not a good system. have some in plastic bag hanging behind fridge. maybe my seeds are no good any guesses. tnx aki.

Comments (7)

• thomas7608
    9 years ago

gro2can

Over/winter: I have researched this topic but do not have any actual experience regarding the procedure. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable, will answer your question.

Regarding the Jalapeno germination ... Did the seeds come from a commercial package? or did you acquired the seeds from a pepper, do you know if the pepper was green or red? The seeds may not be fertile at the green stage of the pepper growth or development stage. I have always used red pepper seeds which become fertile, when the pepper fully matures. How old are the seeds? Are they from last year? In any event, give it about 12 to 14 days to germinate before you start to worry.

Thomas

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

It needs to be above 50 degrees it needs at least 12 hours of sunlight and trimming down to a few leaves and branches is necessary. Water very little since the soil won't dry out like it would outside. If you don't have a lot of direct sunlight from outside then I would get a shop fixture fluorescent light with a timer so that when the sun goes down the light turns on for the extra few hours it needs. Also fluorescent lights are cheap and most energy efficient. The strength of the light waves are short and weak so putting them a couple inches above the plant is perfect. Hope this helps. Good luck

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I, myself, don't overwinter since my season is so long.

Moruga: 12 hours??? That would mean NOBODY could overwinter past the equinox...lol.

From what I've learned, the plants(and roots) get pruned severely, repotted in fresh mix, watered sparingly, and placed in a sunny window. Need to keep an eye out for aphids and such also.

Like Thomas mentioned, others with more experience can walk you through it.

Agree with Thomas about the seeds also. Try this--- take a paper towel and wet, wring out, place seeds in towel and fold up and place in a ziplock. Take bag and place on a dvr. Check seeds in 3 days for taproots. Anything past 2 weeks, the seeds are probably not viable any longer.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

It is pretty easy to overwinter peppers. Trim them way back on top and the root ball. Then transplant them into some new soil in a smaller container. A gallon or so size is fine. Then water sparingly and keep it where it will get as much sun as possible. Even if it doesn't get a lot of sun, it will be OK. But more is better. You generally won't need lights or external heat. Room temp is great. Keep an eye on it for a couple weeks after you bring it inside as they tend to be susceptible to aphid infestations for some reason right after bringing them in.
    I have overwintered HHW before and they do great.
    Bruce

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tnx for info. looks easy from your pictures bruce but because of light we get in winter a little doubtful they will sur vive. will try. as far as seeds go have no clue as to their history. probably home collected when and how no info. will watch fridge plastic bag for results. tnx all. aki

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

My plants dont get that much winter sunlight. I live in Wisconsin and they just sit on a table near my front SW facing window. In January they dont get a lot of direct sun. I do put them on the window sill sometimes to give them a hit of sun though.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Search is your friend

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH