Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Czech Hot Pepper

Posted by koolguymike (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 10:35

anyone grow this plant? this is my second year for it and i really love this plant. I have it bagged right now for seeds so no pics. What i wanted to know is why dont ppl like growing or at least talk about this great plant? it has purple veins in the leaves and stalk. purple flowers the size of a quarter. Starts growing slow but takes off after a while. they are heirlooms from what i understand. the peppers are very simaliar to jalapenoes in size heat and taste, from what i remember from last year. they go from dark puple/black to red.

this is such a beuatiful plant and cant understand nobody talks about it.

here is a link to a page (not mine) that has pics of the plant, flower and pepper(unripe). http://hem.bredband.net/megz/chiles/index.htm
look for the Czechoslovakian Black link and click it.

Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Czech Hot Pepper

Yes it is a good looking pepper plant. I bought one a few weeks ago and glad I planted it in the front of the raised flower bed, love those purple flowers on it.

Five more pepper plant were bought today, if all of my seedings make it that makes 45 varieties (three last year). Going to try to overwinter as many as I can. I am thinking... the raised flower bed might be a raised pepper bed this time next year.

Rick

o

I grew this variety last season. Thought it was a beautiful plant. However, I am guessing the reason for the lack of "publicity" is several chileheads don't speak highly of the taste. It was middle of the road for me. Many varieties I liked better though.

Chris

o
Black Czech Hot Pepper

Chris,
the 'publicity' is probably it. and i seem to feel they were a lot like jalapenos. i felt that many chileheads don't seem to go for the jalapenos so figured that is why they are overlooked.

I am glad others feel this is a pretty plant. I hope to get the bag off mine soon so i can take some pics.

Michael

o

I love Czech Black. The plant looks cool, but when the pods are ripe I think they are much redder and sweeter tasting than jalapeno. It's also very similar to Black Hungarian.

o

I just looked at my Black Czech and I have several pods forming. Very soon it can come out from under the veil. I think I will end up with 20+ peppers for seeds. I saved seeds last year from only 2 peppers and have over 30 seeds so I should be chillin with seeds. Only wish my savina and peruvian white would smart'en up. The fatalii I bagged is droppin about 70% of flowers but am getting pods. Think I will have to play bee with them.

Michael

o

Yes, Czech Black is a very pretty plant, makes beautiful garnet red peppers, tho they start deep purple to black.
But my reason for not growing them again this year i that they are mild. They would be good for improving the colr and fruity flavor of sauces, but they won't add much heat, unless of course that is your aim. Maybe next year.
Burn me up!
Maryanne in WMass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here