Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

some pods

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

first brain strain 7pot pod. there's another smaller pod, but he isn't photo-worthy.

serranos are going at it. love those dark green pods.

can't get a good picture because the foliage is too dense, but the tabasco has about 40 pods on it

this thai has a scary amount of peppers on it. the others don't have as many but they're catching up. I gave up counting at 40.

last but not least, the habanero. I don't know what's going on with him, he keeps dropping buds (or something is eating them), but the pods on the plant look healthy. I posted a pic a while ago of a pod that was coming out from the flower bud sideways. well, this is what he's growing up to look like.

Comments (11)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Nice looking plants and I wouldn't worry about the Hab. They seem to do well in nice sunny warm weather. I don't know where you are at but once it gets the weather it wants, it will set pods left and right.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Melbourne Florida. they get all the sun they want. I actually keep them under a tree now to prevent them from cooking under the brutal florida sun. once in a while I take them out to get them a bit more sun, but most of the time they only get sun maybe 4-6 hrs a day, none of which is during the hottest part of the day except for that which filters through the oak tree's leaves.

how long does it usually take for a hab to change color?

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

My orange habaneros took a long time last year. I would say at least 3 to 4 weeks once it stops growing. It's like they sit there laughing at you for almost a month, then one day you'll notice 5 or 6 have started turning colors. Good Luck!

Tim

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Nice looking plants! I am jealous of the Thais! I had trouble with my thai seeds germinating don't have any this year.

It will seem like forever before the habs start to turn, but, once they start, they will turn in a matter of a couple days. Then, after you pick them, you'll get a growth spurt and a whole new batch of flowering. But, for now, it's a waiting game. :-)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Very nice plants Judo.

Kevin

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great pics, nice pods. The Brain is a fun one to grow and the flavor is great. Your plants are further along than most. The brain will take longer than the Hab to ripen its a long wait like waiting for a Bhut to ripen.

How do you plan on using the peppers?

Mark

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

I'm jealous as well! I had, I think, no luck germinating Yatzi Peppers so looking at your very similar Thai peppers is really shocking lol

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Awesome looking peppers, I'm also jealous.

Go Brevard County Manatees! I spent some time in Melbourne when I was (much) younger trying out for the Marlins prior to spring training in January/February. From what I recall it was consistently sunny and hot (like I would get up north here for about 3 weeks in July). That must make growing peppers much easier.

Great work!

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all for the support. that brain strain is getting big, and scary looking. he has what looks like little spikes on him. as I understand it that's normal, but it's a fun little reminder about how serious that thing is gonna be. he's got a bunch of flowers open, and at least 2 more pods beginning to develop.

what really gets me is how long the thai are taking to change color. some of them stopped growing in size weeks ago, but are still quite green. I am considering picking a green one to try, just to see how hot it is in this stage. but really that's more of lack of patience than it is curiosity. I'm just excited! I can't help it.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'd try it just to see if I liked the "unripe" flavor...and the heat. There's many varieties of Thai, but the Thai that I've grown are miles apart between flavor and especially heat.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally tried some of the unripe mystery thai peppers. they were delicious. like, really, really good. perfect amount of heat IMO. it sat somewhere between the tabasco and the habanero. I bit one in half, and it was great. so I cut up the other half and put it on my taco the wife made for dinner. perfect amount of heat. if it stays near that level of heat but develops its flavor a bit more, I'll be one happy camper. and with the amount of pods I see on the plant, I'll be one happy camper for a very long time.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus