Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carl27

Small leaves along the stem

Carl27
10 years ago

Hi, a number of my plants have developed many small leaves along the stem. See picture - this is an explosive amber, but i have other kinds too like chiltipin and black mayan that have something similar.

Should I try to pinch those off?

Maybe a factor: it's been very wet around here for the last month...

Thanks
Carl

Comments (7)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

My suggestion is selectively pinch some of them if you think it is too much and abnormal. Keep the good one and remove the weak one. Just wait and listen to our other forum members they may have better ideas to help you.

Good luck

Caelian

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I don't. Those are potential branches with potential flowers with potential fruits of goodness.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I don't know positively or with any scientific knowledge, but it stands to reason that the plant is doing it for a reason and extra leaves will simply allow the plant to create more photosynthesis and provide more energy to the plant. I have several plants with huge upper leaves and then smaller leaves and bunches of leaves lower on the stem. I leave them alone. It seems like my super hots like to do that more than the others.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    10 years ago

There was a thread the other day where they were advocating for removing the large leaves, to allow light to get to the smaller inner / lower leaves.

Personally, I usually just let the plant do what it wants.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

I leave them be... Mother nature at work. I fully concur with Kevin.

Bill

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

You got many very good advice here, I agree opinions of our members too.

Plant has potential to fix its problems naturally sometimes human hands speed up the progress of fixing the problems.

To see your picture small branches/buds look normal. If the internodes are too short (nodes with buds too closed each other abnormally) and I would consider it is a sign of some problems to the plants and need fix instead of waiting nature cure.

Application of good tips or principles in proper manner would be benefited to the plants. A wrong application would bring undesirable results. A grower's skill is always a key role to apply every good advice correctly. A close observation of the plants is so important to find a right solution of its problems.

"Auxin produced in the terminal buds suppresses growth of side buds and stimulates root growth. Gibberellins produced in the root growing tips stimulate shoot growth. Pruning a newly planted tree removes the auxin, slowing root regeneration. "

Roots are the heart of a plant and leaves are the faces :-)

Good luck

Caelian

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

IMO leave them. your plant seems short on full sized leaves anyway. it appears to be trying to remedy that problem by growing new leaves. let it be. if you're still worried, drink a beer, and those worries oughta clear up in no time.