Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zill_gw

When to Pick Cayenne

Zill
12 years ago

Hi: I bought a "cayenne pepper" at a garden sale & it was just labeled as such -- no species, no growing instructions. Planted it, & it has done fine. My problems is, the fruits do not turn red. They've gone from green to yellow to bright orange, & have stayed that color for a couple of weeks. Are there orange cayennes? Do I pick now? (The first ripe fruits are now going soft with wrinkles.)

Thanks, Zill

Comments (18)

• TGD32123
    12 years ago

The Cayenne I grew last year went from green to red in a couple of days, with nothing in between. I can't speak for all varieties of Cayenne, but I would say they are ready. When my red Cayenne was wrinkling, they were drying out, and should have been picked by then.

I searched Google images and found orange Cayenne pepper plants, but found more pictures of cars unfortunately. But it looks like there are in fact orange Cayenne peppers.

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No more waiting for red -- will pick today. Thanks TDG!

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I'd say darn near anything is possible with peppers these days! If they changed to orange and have started to wrinkle, I think you're right thinking that they are ready. So, at least now you know what to expect from that particular plant and don't have to wait so long. :-)

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Cayenne can be used for a name for a lot of long skinney peppers sold by seed vendors.
    There are Red , Orange , Yellow/Gold , White and purple varieties out there that I've heard of , seen advertised , seen pics of or have grown.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Well...how were they??

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all, for the info. I've only had them in eggs so far, but they're really nice; a mouth-filling heat (especially along the edges of the tongue) but not too much sharpness in the bite. I'll put them in my chili, next. Do I just string them together and hang to dry?

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Embarrassed not to have used Google Images earlier, but I think my pepper was mislabeled as a Cayenne. It looks much more like an orange Habanaro or some variety of Capsicum Annuum. NOT long & slender, but fat & grooved. Still tasty, though.

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Hello Zill,

I think you would have had a much different description of your breakfast egg dish if you have used cut up slices of Orange Hab in it. The habanero has an extremely high heat level, about ten times higher than the Cayenne. Cayennes are hot, but Habs are in another league all together. It takes a long time and the consumption of a ton of peppers for most folks to enjoy the heat of a habanero in a simple dish such as scrambled eggs.

At least that is the way I am. I have been eating a lot of peppers in the past three years or so, and I am not putting Habs straight into a dish like that yet. They're fine for me mixed in with a recipe, as one of many ingredients. But not alone...

Here is a link that might be useful: Scoville Scale

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Zill,

Can you post a few photos of your peppers and the plant itself? That would be great. Easier to help identify it.
    Thanks.

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sworegonjim:
    I'm thinking you're probably right about the habaneros. I've eaten them before & this pepper is not that hot. Tomorrow I will take a photo to post. Thanks for your help.

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Kewl Deal. I'll look forward to seeing the photo/s. Somebody on GW will know what your pepper is. Probably not myself, but there is a lot of knowledge available here.

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All:
    Posted a photo of these peppers in the Gardening in Arizona Forum under the subject line Unknown Pepper ID Request. (Couldn't find a Gallery for this forum.) Can anyone tell me what this "little hottie" is?
    Thank you, Zill

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Hi Zill,

I can't find a listing for Unkown Pepper ID Request at Gardening in Arizona. I also don't know about a photo gallery. I use Photo Bucket and can quickly post photos here with that.

Can you give us a link to your photo using the "Optional Link URL" under the "message" box?

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I saw the pic and it definitely isn't a hab or cayenne. Though, I have no idea what it is.

I went to the oregon group and there is a link near the top for 'gallery'. You have to click that to see the post.

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Trying image via photo bucket. Z

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Pepper

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Hey There Zill,

Thanks for all your efforts. Beautiful pepper. I see why you thought of Habanero. I don't know what it is for sure, but someone here will.

I lightened the photo and brought it into my post to make it easy for folks to look at and identify. Good luck.

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Zill - check out the post "Pepper ID". You can use the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper ID

• Zill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! The picture looks great. Further remarks at the link Pepper ID.