Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When To Pick Naga/Bhut Peppers??

Posted by aveo5 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 11:09

Well that about says it all. When do you know its time to pick a ripe Naga Morricch, or Bhut Jolokia,? I have so many red peppers on several plants, I know they must be ripe, but how ripe is just right, or to ripe?? If such a thing exists? If I leave them on to long, will they 'go bad'? Most have been red for about a week now. The half red/green ones I know I have time to wait for them, but these red ones...is there a time limit? It seems like, once picked, they only last about 4-5 days, then get soft and start to rot. Is that normal for the Nagas or Bhuts? It seems VERY fast to go bad in such a short time. Is that normal, or should I refrigerate them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When To Pick Naga/Bhut Peppers??

Peppers don't "ethylene ripen" like tomatoes when they're off the plant, but once the color starts to break (green-to-red in this case) they will continue to ripen off the plant.

Once you see a bit of red you can pick them and leave them for a few days to continue to ripen or you just pick them when red on the plant.

Once the pods are fully red they are ripe. They're just as good when partially or mostly red, imo, too.

If you pick them green you won't be able to throw them into a paper bag with apples/bananas/etc. and get them to go red, though.

o

I usually let my pods stay on the plant for 2-3 days after they turn red before I pick them.

Alan

o

i agree with Mr AL

sometimes i leave them on a bit longer especially if i want to harvest them for seeds, they do taste better when they vine ripen just like tomatoes and other fruits and veggies

thanks joe

o

you can always freeze them.

but yeah, wait til they are fully red in order to get them to be as hot as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here